[HELP] Laptop screen has horizontal line of pixels

Laptop just started having a horizontal line of pixels, if I move the laptop screen back/forth it goes away for a bit, then slowly comes back while changing color. I tried the pixel repair (color flashing) programs to no avail. I've heard that it could also be the ribbon.

Not sure, whats it sound like to you? Cause if I can't fix it, it sounds like a new laptop to me.

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
LCD is fucked. those lines are because the connections to the LCD screen are very sensitive to damage. A couple of those connections have been damaged if you're getting horizontal lines. It's only a matter of time that those lines become permanent. Your whole display will likely follow shortly thereafter.

Laptop LCDs can be replaced by a savvy user, but you're going to be paying several hundred bucks for an LCD off ebay.

edit: are you sure the lines are horizontal (-) and not vertical (|)? most of the damaged LCDs I come across have vertical lines on them. Not that it matters; it's probably the same issue no matter what.

if moving it backwards/forwards makes it go away, then it is probably the cable

Thanks vee :wave:

It's definitely horizontal.. and right now, it's gone and I haven't moved the screen. I checked all the cables that are connected to the mobo but they appear fine.. Is there a cable/ribbon inside the LCD housing?

yes, it runs up the back of the LCD, about 3/4's of the way up the back.

but the pinch point is where the cable goes through the hinge obviously

i thought all computer screens were supposed to have horizontal lines of pixels

Hahaha that's too funny. "Malfunctioning pixels" rather!

Guess I'll need to figure the cable out, if I break the monitor, oh well, probably need a new one anyways

they're pretty easy.

1. expose the hinges (sounds like you have if you see the mobo connections)
2. remove the screen screws (underneath the rubber pads)
3. screen should separate from the back plastic
4. you will probably need to unscrew the hinges (including some screws on the bottom of the laptop, possibly).

Is this laptop an HP ncXXXX laptop? Mine has this problem, but I don't care to replace the LCD screen.

they're pretty easy.

1. expose the hinges (sounds like you have if you see the mobo connections)
2. remove the screen screws (underneath the rubber pads)
3. screen should separate from the back plastic
4. you will probably need to unscrew the hinges (including some screws on the bottom of the laptop, possibly).

Alright, got a busy rest-of-the-day ahead of me so I'll post back once I've checked it out. Thanks for the help :D

And it's actually a Dell Inspiron (I know, I know, shame. But I got it for $150 off a friend awhile back haha)

Sorry for the late reply, but I replaced the lcd cable (thinking that was the problem since the line of pixels was dependent upon position of LCD) but that didn't solve the problem..

So.. LCD is going bad? or could it be the inverter? I would imagine the inverter would affect the entire screen not just one line..

Dude you folded it in the wrong spot

Edit: srs bzns I think the inverters only affect the backlight/brightness

Last edited:
my laptop did this also about a year ago, lost one line of pixels a week til i replaced it... was annoying

Back