Help Autism Research

Tatiyana

Veteran X
This month is Autism awareness month. Chevy is helping Autism Speaks by donating to the cause for every person who watches a video on the new Malibu.

Go to Official Chevrolet Site | 2008 Cars, SUV's, and Trucks | Chevy , click on the "Help Chevy Help Autism" link, and click the video (you don't have to watch, just click play video and let it run). Please help out, it takes just a push of the button to help out a great cause.

O_O Tatiyana? Whoa, been ages since I remember that name - I think the last I remember was you getting me banned from #estrogen. EVIL!

okay i'm a bit tired of autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism autism

this is like when people 'discovered' ADD in the 90s

Oops, Autism backlash.

A better campaign would be: Donate or your child will end up like this by God's punishment.

This month is Autism awareness month. Chevy is helping Autism Speaks by donating to the cause for every person who watches a video on the new Malibu.

Go to Official Chevrolet Site | 2008 Cars, SUV's, and Trucks | Chevy , click on the "Help Chevy Help Autism" link, and click the video (you don't have to watch, just click play video and let it run). Please help out, it takes just a push of the button to help out a great cause.

no thx

People like Sir Isaac Newton, Albert Einstein, Thomas Jefferson, Bill Gates, Thomas Edison, Henry Ford, and almost all of the movers and shakers of the scientific world are alleged Aspies, as are many of the more famous writers, musicians, actors, and artists. Your world would be a shadow of itself without us.
(There are seemingly endless lists of famous Aspie names on the internet.

We see, hear, taste, smell, and feel much more of the physical world than you do. We are ultrasensitive to soft sounds than you are. Many of us can hear high-pitched (ultrasonic) sounds that your ears are incapable of hearing. We are driven crazy by tiny pinpoints of light that you can't even see. The seam in the bottom of our socks is very bothersome. (I'll bet the princess in the "Princess and the Pea" fable was an Aspie.)

We are NOT repeat NOT mentally ill. We have a different neurological system which is not yet understood. We are not schizophrenic ( a chemical imbalance); we live in the same world that you do, not little worlds of our own.

We are not sociopathic, people-haters,or wannabe hermits. We are nonviolent unless pushed beyond the limits of our tolerance. We do not have an attachment disorder, as so many people seem to think, despite the many differences.

And yes, many of us are clumsy. We walk funny. We are humiliated in our gym classes because we are usually the last people who are picked when the gym teacher tells his favorite "jocks" to choose up sides. We can't understand why the gym teacher thinks that everybody has to be an athlete, and gives us low grades because he thinks we are shirking.

We are subject to food allergies like you wouldn't believe. We have bizarre medication reactions which baffle doctors and pharmacists.

Our likes and dislikes are very different from yours. We could care less who wins the Superbowl or Wimbledon or the Stanley Cup. We like old coins and freight trains, and can drive you out of your mind by reciting an encyclopedic knowlege of the development of diesel locomotives.

If we were offered a "CURE", and become like the neurotypical (normal, whatever that may be) people, whom many of us consider to be dull and boring, we would refuse. We wish that well-meaning people would quit trying to "cure" us, especially those delusional people who think that behavior modification is going to do the trick.

Those are all great suggestions, but what I'm looking for are ideas.

I personally coach a baseball team for children with disabilities. In the past I worked a camp program each summer during my college years for special needs kids. I've also done a program where the county was attempting to bring the higher functioning young adults with disabilities closer together so they could form a support network with each other and/or their families could do the same.

You could call your city's rec department and see what sort of programs are offered then volunteer your help.

Warm bodies are needed as helpers more than anything else.

Ideas: There are walks to support Autism research all over the country this month. Go to Autismspeaks.org, or do a search for autism awareness and follow links to the different groups (there are many), and they often list ways you can help.

I work in a public school with children with autism as an aide as I work to become a school psychologist and specialize in autism...another way you can get involved is by working for or even volunteering for schools who serve these kids.

You can also try to find ways to sponsor nights out in the community so parents can feel comfortable and find others with things in common. I know someone is putting together a community night where families with kids with autism can go out to a restaurant and feel comfortable because the staff have been trained how they can deal with these kids effectively, as well as to understand what autism is so when these kids come in on other days they don't gawk, get disgusted, or what ever else can happen when out to eat, and they can even help out if needed.

Even starting or supporting a sports league for kids with disabilities (many already exist, but not nearly enough as many parents have to drive a number of towns away to find a league).

Go to any autism group site and they'll often have other ideas, small and large.

Back