Help a BitTorrent noob.

RiverStyx

Veteran XV
I don't get it, how do you get a decent download speed? I get like 5kb/s.

Someone said the more you upload, the faster you can download. So I left the thing on over night with a file I completely downloaded, by the next mornining I was at 40kb/s download speed, than my computer crashed and now I'm back to 5kb/s.. what gives?

so basically once you start the thing you can never close it? so you don't lose your rating?

that's fucking gay.

cap your uploads, bittorrent trys to upload to much which bogs your dl way down. also be patient it can take a hour before you get good speeds.

The more you upload/more you download works sometimes.

I've found that if there's a decent amount of actual seeders (people with complete file), raising your upload won't help much since they already have the file.

Whereas if there are more peers you're connected too, raising your upload helps.

If there's 10 peers and 5-8 seeds, cut your upload in half. I'd bet your download goes faster. If there are more peers, raise it to it's max, you should get a faster download.

lol as long as you open your ports, adn there are seeds, you will max it out, dont listen to these retards

i used to have the experimental client, and had that same problem... the more it uploaded, the less it downloaded, and I rarely broke 100k

i recently upgraded (3.3?) and now all the options are gone, but I got over 250k the first time trying it

make sure you're running the latest client.

PsioniX said:
lol as long as you open your ports, adn there are seeds, you will max it out, dont listen to these retards

yup thats exactly how it works :rolleyes:

how does opening a port have anything to do with upload/download speeds?

and are you using the experimental or the regular one psion?

i have no problem w/ d/l speeds. on my cable i capped u/ls to 15kb/sec because i still wanted to have a good u/l for the other computers of the house (line is capped at 30kb/sec). and here at school i usually cap it around maybe 40kb/sec or so depending on file size, and i get close to 400kb/sec d/l on some files (like pirates of the caribbean). it's insane when it says the total file speed is like 800kb/sec and i'm doing 350kb/sec :).

I'm behind a firewall/NAT, can I use BitTorrent?
Yes, but you will get better performance if other peers can connect to you. By default, BitTorrent listens on port 6881, trying incrementially higher ports if it's unable to bind, and gives up after 6889 (the port range is configurable). It's up to you to figure out how to poke a hole in your firewall/NAT

Back