Heat issues on new system

Zaine

Veteran XV
I've built a new system last week and i've noticed the heat is too high on the CPU (60C on idle). I'm using a stock heatsink/fan, with artic silver 5 applied.The heat is bad enough to smell a little bit of silicon in the air, which i hope is central to the CPU area and not my PSU or motherboard. Any suggestions on maybe a better heatsink/fan?

Relevant Specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (stock heatsink/fan & artic silver 5)
Asus P5W DH Deluxe Motherboard
3 80mm case fans (two back, one front)
PSU's little fan

have you tried reseating the HSF?I had to when I built the system im on now.the core 2 duo is suppose to be known for running cool.

Last edited:
Yeah, the new core duos are up there with A64 chips in terms of temperature. Make sure not to apply too much or too little arctic silver.

Alright, got it to about 47-48C idle now. Some of the little clips on the heatsink were bent, thus not inserted all the way into the holes to make good contact =/ . Think one of em snapped off too. Also redid the AS to make positive it was done right so i don't ever have to take the heatsink off again >.<

Could always be a broken mobo sensor or faulty BIOS, btw. Get a thermometer and do a manual check.

I believe it, since after getting the heat to around 47C i couldn't smell silicon anymore, but as I just walked into my room the smell was back again. Plus I have no idea where to get a proper themometer to check heat from a CPU lol.

Could always be a broken mobo sensor or faulty BIOS, btw. Get a thermometer and do a manual check.

Any thermometer will do. Measure the temp on the edge of the heatspreader and add about 5-8 °C.

But if you're sure, then it's probably the bent/snapped clips letting the heatsink loose.

Yeah, i'm a genius with the bent clips there.. Know any good heatsinks that aren't rediculously huge?

Any thermometer will do. Measure the temp on the edge of the heatspreader and add about 5-8 °C.

But if you're sure, then it's probably the bent/snapped clips letting the heatsink loose.

Back