[HD TV] Aspect ratios

Zear

Veteran XV
I'm not asking for research here, just reassurance. I have been looking into going HDTV and, eventually, Blueray. The only serious concern I have is the whole aspect ratio issue.

From what I gather, there are 4 basic ratios I might run into: 4:3, 16:9, 1.85:1, and 2.39:1. What I want is a combination of hardware that will play video from all 4 aspect ratios without windowboxing or altering the aspect (like when 4:3 is stretched out to widescreen). And I don't want to have to adjust anything manually after an initial setup.

Is this possible? What brands best support this, or is this standard if I just set it up right?

I have been reading up on it and can't find straight answers on this.

I want 4:3 video to be displayed pillarboxed and centered.
I want 16:9 video displayed full screen.
I want 1.85:1 and 2.39:1 video displayed letterboxed and centered.

I do understand that anamorphic widescreen makes this all work better (as opposed to plain letterbox transfers), but it would be nice if it would show these fullscreen with no windowboxing. I can live with a manual adjustment for non-anamorphic DVDs though.

Does such a setup exist without spending a gazillion dollars?

Good to hear, but that leaves me wondering just how stupid retailers are that all the video they show on their widescreen TVs appears to be stretched 4:3 video.

Does such a setup exist without spending a gazillion dollars?

No. There is no standardization between film makers and TV makers. 16:9 is going to be your best bet for a TV and you don't HAVE to stretch normal TV (4:3), but you do have the option.

Hehe. We all know that Best Buy employees don't have a clue. I just figure that if automatically adjusting to these ratios properly is somewhat the default, how the hell do they manage to fuck it up?

Never mind, I can guess the answer. But it is nice to know that the aspect ratio lameness I see is due to stupid users and not due to inflexible hardware.

Good to hear, but that leaves me wondering just how stupid retailers are that all the video they show on their wide screen TVs appears to be stretched 4:3 video.

I was in walmart (lolol) and noticed this myself. The section was labeled HDTV everywhere and little signs saying how good it looks.

I look at the TVs, to see it looks like regular digital cable/satellite in 4:3 stretched.

I :lol:ed

I think they do it to show off the "full screen", you know. If the image isn't using the entire screen, it must not be good!!!

I watch standard def 4:3 tv (aka - normal TV) by using the 16:9 feature of my TV. It has a 4-5" black outline around the entire outside of the picture.

It doesn't stretch the picture at all and because it's a little smaller you do not see SD TV artifacts. At the distance of 8-11 feet, standard def tv looks great on my TV. @ 5 foot, you can see what looks like JPEG artifacts.

I pretty much never use anything but 16:9. Anything else stretches and the 1:1 feature of my TV shows wierd stuff from the boradcasters (CC data). 1:1 is for using it as a PC monitor.

There is a setting on TVs called panoramic which only stretches the edges of a 4:3 picture so you can barely tell that it has been altered. It doesn't chop anything off either. Anyways, I would always come home from work to my retarded roommate watching non-HD stations on my 32" LCD when there was an HD channel for that station. That shit drove me fucking crazy!

are you questioning the stupidity of an 18 year old best buy employee?

It's amazing to me that they can stand around in the store all day looking at HDTV's displaying 3:4 signals and not tear their eyes out. If someone messes with my TV settings and I turn it on to see a bunch of streached out people I go into a berserker rage.

There is a setting on TVs called panoramic which only stretches the edges of a 4:3 picture so you can barely tell that it has been altered. It doesn't chop anything off either. Anyways, I would always come home from work to my retarded roommate watching non-HD stations on my 32" LCD when there was an HD channel for that station. That shit drove me fucking crazy!
I can't stand the fish eye look, it makes me wanna puke. I'd rather watch the program in pillarbox :shrug:

Back