Has anyone noticed...

nu·cle·ar ( P ) Pronunciation Key (nkl-r, ny-)
adj.
Biology. Of, relating to, or forming a nucleus: a nuclear membrane.
Physics. Of or relating to atomic nuclei: a nuclear chain reaction.
Using or derived from the energy of atomic nuclei: nuclear power.
Of, using, or possessing atomic or hydrogen bombs: nuclear war; nuclear nations.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[From nucleus.]
Usage Note: The pronunciation (nky-lr), which is generally considered incorrect, is an example of how a familiar phonological pattern can influence an unfamiliar one. The usual pronunciation of the final two syllables of this word is (-kl-r), but this sequence of sounds is rare in English. Much more common is the similar sequence (-ky-lr), which occurs in words like particular, circular, spectacular, and in many scientific words like molecular, ocular, and vascular.

It's not hard to do both. Anyway I'm not making a judgement on his material. Just his pronunciation.

he's gonna use nyuk yew lar weapons in his war on terra.

he practiced the speech for 5 days, you'd think they could teach a retarded parrot to pronounce the entire speech right in that time.

I lot of people pronounce it like that. Been a pet peeve of mine for a looong time.

Kind of like "INCH-RINSE", instead of "IN-SHURR-ANCE" (listen closely to people saying that word, and you'll hear it).

ZombieAFO said:
nu·cle·ar ( P ) Pronunciation Key (nkl-r, ny-)
adj.
Biology. Of, relating to, or forming a nucleus: a nuclear membrane.
Physics. Of or relating to atomic nuclei: a nuclear chain reaction.
Using or derived from the energy of atomic nuclei: nuclear power.
Of, using, or possessing atomic or hydrogen bombs: nuclear war; nuclear nations.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[From nucleus.]
Usage Note: The pronunciation (nky-lr), which is generally considered incorrect, is an example of how a familiar phonological pattern can influence an unfamiliar one. The usual pronunciation of the final two syllables of this word is (-kl-r), but this sequence of sounds is rare in English. Much more common is the similar sequence (-ky-lr), which occurs in words like particular, circular, spectacular, and in many scientific words like molecular, ocular, and vascular.

pzoned

Back