Harvard economist explains why marijuana should be legal

what does an economist know about the social effects on the subject of legalization of all drugs ??

imagine heroin being legal LMAO. just the marketing side of it. holy shit i can't imagine.

wow

you're fucking stupid.

Economics
Marketing

two different fields bro

people who think drugs ought be legal and easily distributed should be shot in the face

try doing something with your worthless lives instead of killing braincells and wasting money in the process

People who have knee-jerk emotional reactions to everything instead of actually relying on science and critical thought should be shot in the face.

(and lol harvard economist)

imagine heroin being legal LMAO. just the marketing side of it. holy shit i can't imagine.

Heroin did used to be legal and society didn't come crashing and burning to the ground.

It also used to be widely marketed for just about everything that ails you.

question:

if the US government legalizes marijuana, would that ex post facto remove all marijuana violations and make my life 100x easier to get a security clearance?

drugs are illegal because they don't benefit our society and their use would increase with legalization. making them legal won't help us in anyway.

False. Incoming Wall of text.

Cannabis use WAS legal up until the 40's and was not used as highly as it is today.

Alcohol usage did not increase after prohibition.

In places where "soft" drugs are looked past, like Amsterdam, Drug usage across the board, including teens has gone down. #1 reason teens gave during the poll? Because it was no longer "cool" to do.

The problem is you have bought into the lies of certain propaganda machines who benefit from the fact that Cannabis is illegal. Do I think all drugs should be legalized? Fuck no. But at least use "real" arguments when presenting your case, because this one is a fucking basket full of dicks when it comes to truth.

How many people do you know drink just because its legal? I don't? My wife doesn't. I know plenty of people who don't drink, to think that just because Cannabis would be legal all the sudden the earth would start a mass woodstock 2010 is a laughable idea.

There has been studies that have proven that A) Cannabis does NOT lead to stronger drugs. B) Cannabis in fact does NOT kill brain cells from just "smoking" it.

Part A) During the danish testing on rats between rats who were given cannabis and the rats who weren't, when given heroin the only thing they found was that Cannabis rats would take the Heroin more often. When presented with the task to take the heroin (hammering with their nose on a "bell") both groups gave up after the amounts of presses reached 40+. What they had shown was there was no direct link to more of an urge in using the heroin, only the fact that cannabis would actually lessen the effects of heroin sooner then non cannabis rats and there for would click more often for a dose.

Part B) The Scientist / Doctor (who's name slips my mind) that was commissioned to do the testing on brain cell loss when using cannabis did not really have a very legit testing methodology. He would strap a monkey to a chair, and at one time using a gas mask pump an equal amount of cannabis as to smoking 50 high grade Cannabis joints at once.

The problem came from the fact that he did this in one hour sittings at a time. The Monkeys who were part of the Cannabis smoke testing group died with in weeks of testing. Do you know why? What else causes Brain Cell loss in high amounts?

Asphyxiation.

They found later, after doing examinations on the monkeys that they couldn't tell if the brain damage was really from cannabis or not, because they monkeys had all died from choking to death. The problem is that humans who die from the same type of sympton, choking, or smoke inhalation showed the same rate of Brain cell decay as the monkeys who were choking on Cannabis smoke.

As for the economy? No, it sure wouldn't "fix" all of our problems. But spending 2.5 billion dollars a year on a drug war that is over 90% Cannabis convictions, 8billion a dollars a year on incarceration of Cannabis users who were arrest for POSSESSION only would sure help. But that wouldn't be the only costs saved. Think of all the money we spend on public defenders for these people, the court costs, costs of the police force that isn't DEA related for holding and transporting the prisoners to and from Court.

What about just hemp? The male plant consists of .05% and lower THC and CBN, has a high amount of CBD's which actually prevent you from getting stoned (they block the cannaboid receptors in your brain) yet can produce a ton of different products. Would I wear hemp clothing? Prolly not. But yet, even though we can make dynamite, oils for skin lacerations, foods, gas, and another 2600 different items we instead buy in bulk from other countries. You see its not illegal to "use" hemp in the US, its just illegal to cultivate it.

There is plenty of reasons "why" Cannabis prohibition is a farce. But the only reason I need is because its my fucking right to do with my body what I want. As for the argument that "the tax payers" have to pay for what I do, yea well, considering that there is no proven link between lung cancer and Cannabis I would rather we let people smoke it then Tobacco, or drink themselves to death, or eat themselves to death, or sit on their asses and collect welfare.

The biggest problem we face today is getting over the falsehoods that the government, and those who refuse to do any actual research into the truth behind Cannabis have brought upon the millions of people in this country. It sure isn't the gods gift to humans, and it isn't for everyone but its damn better all around then the shit we have access to now.

people who think drugs ought be legal and easily distributed should be shot in the face

try doing something with your worthless lives instead of killing braincells and wasting money in the process

If this isn't a troll, because I have a hard time believing it isn't, please enlighten me on what great things you've done with your life.

Who are you? are you famous? have i heard of you? Cure cancer yet?

If not than your achievements are as shallow and stupid as any other resource wasting hog of a human.

B) Cannabis in fact does NOT kill brain cells from just "smoking" it.

Frontal lobe dysfunction in long-term cannabis use...[Neurotoxicol Teratol. 2001 Sep-Oct] - PubMed Result

Cerebral blood flow (CBF) was measured in 12 long-term cannabis users shortly after cessation of cannabis use (mean 1.6 days). The findings showed significantly lower mean hemispheric blood flow values and significantly lower frontal values in the cannabis subjects compared to normal controls. The results suggest that the functional level of the frontal lobes is affected by long-term cannabis use.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current and former marijuana use: preliminary find...[CMAJ. 2002] - PubMed Result

RESULTS: Current marijuana use was significantly correlated (p < 0.05) in a dose-related fashion with a decline in IQ over the ages studied. The comparison of the IQ difference scores showed an average decrease of 4.1 points in current heavy users (p < 0.05) compared to gains in IQ points for light current users (5.8), former users (3.5) and non-users (2.6).

JAMA -- Abstract: The residual cognitive effects of heavy marijuana use in college students, February 21, 1996, Pope and Yurgelun-Todd 275 (7): 521

RESULTS: Heavy users displayed significantly greater impairment than light users on attention/executive functions, as evidenced particularly by greater perseverations on card sorting and reduced learning of word lists. These differences remained after controlling for potential confounding variables, such as estimated levels of premorbid cognitive functioning, and for use of alcohol and other substances in the two groups.

Arch Gen Psychiatry -- Abstract: Regional Brain Abnormalities Associated With Long-term Heavy Cannabis Use, June 2008, Ycel et al. 65 (6): 694

Results Cannabis users had bilaterally reduced hippocampal and amygdala volumes (P = .001), with a relatively (and significantly [P = .02]) greater magnitude of reduction in the former (12.0% vs 7.1%). Left hemisphere hippocampal volume was inversely associated with cumulative exposure to cannabis during the previous 10 years (P = .01) and subthreshold positive psychotic symptoms (P < .001). Positive symptom scores were also associated with cumulative exposure to cannabis (P = .048). Although cannabis users performed significantly worse than controls on verbal learning (P < .001), this did not correlate with regional brain volumes in either group.

Conclusions These results provide new evidence of exposure-related structural abnormalities in the hippocampus and amygdala in long-term heavy cannabis users and corroborate similar findings in the animal literature. These findings indicate that heavy daily cannabis use across protracted periods exerts harmful effects on brain tissue and mental health.

[Impact of cannabis consumption on brain developme...[Gesundheitswesen. 2008] - PubMed Result

The data seem to be consistent however, when a differentiation between early begin of consumption (before the age of 16) and late begin of consumption is taken into account. Mainly those cannabis users with an early begin of consumption are prone to developing lasting neurocognitive deficits and even a decrease in grey substance volume, as well as an increase in the risk of psychosis. The correlation of this outcome with cannabis consumption during a phase of brain development that includes the consolidation of higher cognitive functions, awareness of social cues, planning of concepts and motivation as well as tools of functional control, is highly convincing. The endocannabinoid system reaches the point of highest receptor density during this age of 16/17 years, and many of the above-mentioned developmental processes are modulated by this system. A chronic damage to this system (e.g., down-regulation or desensitisation of CB1 receptors by exogenous cannabinoids) therefore holds the potential for permanent neurophysiological as well as neurocognitive deficits, and also for the development of psychotic disorders.

Cannabis use, cognitive performance and mood in a sample of workers -- Wadsworth et al. 20 (1): 14 -- Journal of Psychopharmacology

Cannabis users and controls completed a battery of laboratory based computer tasks measuring mood and cognitive function pre- and post-work at the start and end of a working week. They also completed daily diaries reporting their work performance.

Cannabis use was associated with impairment in both cognitive function and mood, though cannabis users reported no more workplace errors than controls. Cannabis use was associated with lower alertness and slower response organization. In addition, users experienced working memory problems at the start, and psychomotor slowing and poorer episodic recall at the end of the working week.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JAMA -- Abstract: Cognitive Functioning of Long-term Heavy Cannabis Users Seeking Treatment, March 6, 2002, Solowij et al. 287 (9): 1123

Results Long-term cannabis users performed significantly less well than shorter-term users and controls on tests of memory and attention. On the Rey Auditory Verbal Learning Test, long-term users recalled significantly fewer words than either shorter-term users (P = .001) or controls (P = .005); there was no difference between shorter-term users and controls. Long-term users showed impaired learning (P = .007), retention (P = .003), and retrieval (P = .002) compared with controls. Both user groups performed poorly on a time estimation task (P<.001 vs controls). Performance measures often correlated significantly with the duration of cannabis use, being worse with increasing years of use, but were unrelated to withdrawal symptoms and persisted after controlling for recent cannabis use and other drug use.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arch Gen Psychiatry -- Abstract: Neuropsychological Performance in Long-term Cannabis Users, October 2001, Pope et al. 58 (10): 909

Methods We recruited individuals aged 30 to 55 years in 3 groups: (1) 63 current heavy users who had smoked cannabis at least 5000 times in their lives and who were smoking daily at study entry; (2) 45 former heavy users who had also smoked at least 5000 times but fewer than 12 times in the last 3 months; and (3) 72 control subjects who had smoked no more than 50 times in their lives. Subjects underwent a 28-day washout from cannabis use, monitored by observed urine samples. On days 0, 1, 7, and 28, we administered a neuropsychological test battery to assess general intellectual function, abstraction ability, sustained attention, verbal fluency, and ability to learn and recall new verbal and visuospatial information. Test results were analyzed by repeated-measures regression analysis, adjusting for potentially confounding variables.

Results At days 0, 1, and 7, current heavy users scored significantly below control subjects on recall of word lists, and this deficit was associated with users' urinary 11-nor-9-carboxy-{Delta}9-tetrahydrocannabinol concentrations at study entry.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry to rain on your parade.

I'm not saying cannabis breeds stupidity; on the contrary, when used in a specific fashion it can achieve something that nothing else can. I don't however stand for all the idiots who do it just to get high, escape from reality, because its cool, because it feels good, etc. I don't agree with killing one's brain without a good fucking reason is all.

Last edited:
If this isn't a troll, because I have a hard time believing it isn't, please enlighten me on what great things you've done with your life.

Fooz said:
Who are you? are you famous? have i heard of you? Cure cancer yet?

If not than your achievements are as shallow and stupid as any other resource wasting hog of a human.

Urshilikai is something like 15 years old. He hasn't done shit with himself except maybe launch a newspaper on some old lady's doorstep. My contributions to society dwarf his in spite of my pot intake, as do those of any other person who actually works for a living. His entire point of view from the "contribution to society" angle is wholly irrelevant and ignorant.

Oh, and edit: I don't care what the Harvard economist says. It should be at the very least decriminalized on humanitarian grounds, as pot is just fine for those who are predisposed to be responsible already. It can be abused just like anything, but then it's not the drug, it's the person who sucks.

Last edited:
I'm not saying cannabis breeds stupidity; on the contrary, when used in a specific fashion it can achieve something that nothing else can. I don't however stand for all the idiots who do it just to get high, escape from reality, because its cool, because it feels good, etc. I don't agree with killing one's brain without a good fucking reason is all.

Look I am not going to sit here and argue with you. It has been proven to NOT kill brain cells. I did not say, nor elude to there is no other brain related issues associated with smoking Cannabis, but Brain cell loss is NOT one of them.

Government experts now admit that pot doesn't kill brain cells.1 This myth came from a handful of animal experiments in which structural changes (not actual cell death, as is often alleged) were observed in brain cells of animals exposed to high doses of pot. Many critics still cite the notorious monkey studies of Dr. Robert G. Heath, which purported to find brain damage in three monkeys that had been heavily dosed with cannabis.2 This work was never replicated and has since been discredited by a pair of better controlled, much larger monkey studies, one by Dr. William Slikker of the National Center for Toxicological Research3 and the other by Charles Rebert and Gordon Pryor of SRI International.4 Neither found any evidence of physical alteration in the brains of monkeys exposed to daily doses of pot for up to a year. Human studies of heavy users in Jamaica and Costa Rica found no evidence of abnormalities in brain physiology.5 Even though there is no evidence that pot causes permanent brain damage, users should be aware that persistent deficits in short-term memory have been noted in chronic, heavy marijuana smokers after 6 to 12 weeks of abstinence.6 It is worth noting that other drugs, including alcohol, are known to cause brain damage.

Footnotes

1. Dr. Christine Hartel, Acting Director of Research, National Institute of Drug Abuse, cited by the State of Hawaii Dept of Health, Alcohol and Drug Abuse Division in memo of Feb. 4, 1994.

2. For an overview, see NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES Report, op. cit., pp. 81-2. R.G. Heath et al, "Cannabis sativa: effects on brain function and ultrastructure in Rhesus monkeys," Biol. Psychiatry 15: 657-90 (1980).

3. William Slikker et al., "Chronic Marijuana Smoke Exposure in the Rhesus Monkey," Fundamental and Applied Toxicology 17: 321-32 (1991).

4. Charles Rebert & Gordon Pryor - "Chronic Inhalation of Marijuana Smoke and Brain Electrophysiology of Rhesus Monkeys," International Journal of Psychophysiology V 14, p.144, 1993.

5. NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES Report, pp. 82-7.

6. "Cannabis and Memory Loss," (editorial) British Journal of Addiction 86: 249-52 (1991)

There are multiple studies that refute that there is any sort of brain cell loss from consumption of cannabis. In fact there is synthetic cannaboid studies that are showing brain cell increase in tests. Now, of course these cannaboids are the same exact structure of those in Cannabis they do not prove cannabis itself will do the same thing, since you get a lot more chemicals when you smoke plant product.

I can sit here and play tag with you and find just as many studies that prove there is 0 brain cell loss (although, as the article present above says there is brain changes that happen to chronic smokers).

These types of changes also happen to alcoholics, so they really don't matter to me. Why? Because I am not a "chronic" smoker, just as I wouldn't be a "chronic drinker". Addicts will be addicts, and anything abused in high amounts will cause health problems. Even drinking too much water in a day can be bad for you cause the kidneys to processes impurities slower and leaving low salt concentrations in your blood.

Regardless, you have no right to tell me that I shouldn't smoke cannabis because you think you need a good reason for it. It's not your body, the same way I can't tell you not to eat McDonalds, or drink High sugar, sodium based sodas. Why? Because its your fucking choice.

Last edited:
Look I am not going to sit here and argue with you. It has been proven to NOT kill brain cells. I did not say, nor elude to there is no other brain related issues associated with smoking Cannabis, but Brain cell loss is NOT one of them.

I love how I quoted about 8 different research studies which say the opposite, while you provided zero evidence for your claim. Try smoking less and thinking more

THere is a VERY real difference from addictive drugs and non-addictive drugs.

Have you ever heard of someone stealing their mom's TV to pay for their pot or LSD addiction?

Have you been approached by an itching bum asking to bum money for gas, but really its to buy is next bong load?

No, you havent. Inexperienced people have no concept of the difference between 'hardcore' drugs and the rest.

Back