[halp] My computer hates my E:\ drive!!!

No starforce (device manager > non plug and play drivers)

@ Caspian: That's why I upgraded the psu, but there are 2 HD's on one line (E + F)

Plasmatic said:
all 4 hard drives slots are filled, and 2 of the 3 optical drive slots. I upgraded the power supply to a 600w sometime late last summer. Let me go get my temp probe.
Sonata_opencase.jpg

I use a sonata case as well, and to be honest you might be baking the fuck out of those drives. There is no fan up front, and that dust filter really cuts down the airflow. Combine that with 4 stacked drives, and your WD model just might not be able to take the heat. If it lasts for months then fails, and you are on a UPS with a brand name power supply, I would blame heat.

Temp inside the case is 88 degrees F, and I can touch the metal on the drives comfortably. But it has been a while since I've cleaned the filter.

Plasmatic said:
Temp inside the case is 88 degrees F, and I can touch the metal on the drives comfortably. But it has been a while since I've cleaned the filter.

Touching the drive comfortably doesn't really mean anything. If it was hot enough for you to consider it toasty, it would already be slagged.

http://www.heatsink-guide.com/content.php?content=hdd.shtml

is a decent summary of why. You need to increase airflow over those drives.

ImperialIPA said:
Touching the drive comfortably doesn't really mean anything. If it was hot enough for you to consider it toasty, it would already be slagged.

http://www.heatsink-guide.com/content.php?content=hdd.shtml

is a decent summary of why. You need to increase airflow over those drives.
Actually, my 2 Seagate Barracudas were quite uncomfortable to touch, even with a good airflow case (side fan, blowhole, and 1 bay between drives). Funnily enough though, 1 has gone bad after a year and a half. :-|

Ixiterra said:
Actually, my 2 Seagate Barracudas were quite uncomfortable to touch, even with a good airflow case (side fan, blowhole, and 1 bay between drives). Funnily enough though, 1 has gone bad after a year and a half. :-|

The worst are unventilated external hard drive enclosures, especially when people leave their external HDs powered on all of the time.

Using one of those for "backup" and leaving it on to overheat is not smart.

88F (31.1C) for a case is on the warmer side.

My case is 27C (80.6F), and my HDs are 27C, 30C, and 26C. CPU is 46C (WCG is running).

iNVAR said:
88F (31.1C) for a case is on the warmer side.

My case is 27C (80.6F), and my HDs are 27C, 30C, and 26C. CPU is 46C (WCG is running).
Ambient temperature can make a pretty significant difference in case temperature. My case has stayed around 78-84F during the winter, but it would get as high as 98 last summer. But my bedroom does not have air conditioning. :(

Ixiterra said:
Ambient temperature can make a pretty significant difference in case temperature. My case has stayed around 78-84F during the winter, but it would get as high as 98 last summer. But my bedroom does not have air conditioning. :(
Yeah, my bedroom does have AC. It's a cool 76F (24.4C) here. :)

If its that same slot that keeps "breaking" your drives, then i would suggest getting a new hard drive and a cheap external hdd case w/ usb 2.0

Back