[Guns] Hi-Point 9mm Carbine

Leiawen

Veteran X
Hi-Point 995 Carbine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hp995carbine2.jpg

Anyone ever owned or shot one of these? I've read some pretty good things about them being a fun, cheap gun for sport/plinking. I was originally looking at getting a Beretta Cx4 Storm but several places view the Hi-Point as a better purchase.

The clincher was this:

ATI Synthetic Stocks
HIP9000-LG.jpg

ATI apparently make this custom stock that gives the Hi-Point a virtually identical appearance to the Storm carbine. So, I'd be paying less than half the $$$ for something that is arguably a better weapon, with the same stylish look.

So, I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about this gun?

Don't know squat about it... but what's the point of getting a rifle in a pistol caliber? Just wondering why you wouldn't want an AR15 or something.

:lol: Its a "Hi-Point". Only criminals use those.

Seriously though, Hi-Point is known for cheap, shitty quality hand guns.

I already have an AR15, I wanted this because it has an interesting look and 9mm parabellum is relatively cheap and available all over.

:lol: Its a "Hi-Point". Only criminals use those.

Seriously though, Hi-Point is known for cheap, shitty quality hand guns.

I know they are, and I was initially really turned off by that. But a few places I've read seem to think that this carbine is really quite a nice weapon. Thats why I wondered if anyone here has actually owned or fired one.

Hell, maybe I'll just buy it and see how it handles at the local gas station or liquor store. It would probably be best to test it in its intended environment.

The hi-point carbine was originally deveolped during the assault weapons ban of the 90's as a "poor man's" carbine. Costing only $199 for the entry level version, even those on the most modest budget can afford one. Made of inexpensive castings and injection molded plastic for the most part, the 995 is a excellent example of "form follows function". It is manufactured by Bee Miller Inc. of Dayton, Ohio. It has garnered a reputation as a handy, dependable carbine for plinking or small game hunting.

Many call it "beatiful ugly" and its distinct profile is different from any other firearm on the market. It uses the simple direct blowback action operating system for simplicity of manufacture. Mostly relegated to low-pressure rounds, direct blowback uses the mass of the bolt to keep the action closed until pressure has fallen to a safe level. The 995 uses a massive breechblock to keep the high pressure 9mm round under control. It is fed by a single stack, ten round magazine of proprietary design. This magazine doesn't interchange with any other Hi-point firearm although the 40 S&W version of the carbine shares its magazine with the pistol chambered for the same round.

Of note is the excellent warranty offered on all hi-point firearms. They carry a no-questions-asked, lifetime guarantee, and I can personnaly vouch for its nature. Hi-point will repair or replace at its own cost any damaged or worn out firearm of thier manufacture regardless of whether you are the first owner or the tenth. Any older weapon sent in will have the latest upgraded parts installed for no fee. The only thing you pay out of pocket is shipping fees and hi-point sends you an extra magazine back to cover that as well.

continued

Firearm Review: Hi-Point 995 9mm Carbine - Associated Content

Hey, nice find. Thanks.

Kura, its not meant to be a serious weapon.

I don't intend to go to war with it.

I know they are, and I was initially really turned off by that. But a few places I've read seem to think that this carbine is really quite a nice weapon. Thats why I wondered if anyone here has actually owned or fired one.

owned and fired the 40cal and 9mm, both very cheap but very accurate. was the gun used in columbine shootings, def effective. I sold it to a pawn shop because it was just a cheap gun for the range. Trust me it is a piece of shit. Don't buy a gun unless it's a nice one. Have some principles and save your money. Practice your right to bear arms with pride, but do it justice.

Last edited:
owned and fired the 40cal and 9mm, both very cheap but very accurate. was the gun used in columbine shootings, def effective. I sold it to a pawn shop because it was just a cheap gun for the range. Trust me it is a piece of shit. Don't buy a gun unless it's a nice one. Have some principles and save your money. Practice your right to bear arms with pride, but do it justice.

Ahh, good. What makes it a POS in your opinion? Build quality? Reliability? I've heard horrible stories about FTE and FTF problems with the Storm, and the review posted above discussed problems when firing JHPs with the Hi-Point. What was your experience with it?

And I understand your point about principles, but this is supposed to be a POS gun for plinking. I have my AR15 and my Mossberg for more serious use, if required.

I liked the Cx4 storm in Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2.

No experience with the HP 9mm Carbine.

Ahh, good. What makes it a POS in your opinion? Build quality? Reliability? I've heard horrible stories about FTE and FTF problems with the Storm, and the review posted above discussed problems when firing JHPs with the Hi-Point. What was your experience with it?

And I understand your point about principles, but this is supposed to be a POS gun for plinking. I have my AR15 and my Mossberg for more serious use, if required.

if that's your intent, go for it. I've also heard favorable reviews of the carbine, but I'd never buy one of their pistols. Build quality is really the beef that most people have, but if you just want something just to blow through some brass with...well buy what you want. use the money you save to buy more ammunition :D

I by firearms with specific purpose and will simply wait until I can afford what I want for that purpose. you've mentioned nothing of using as a home defense firearm (and you already have the mossberg) and if you simply want to plink and otherwise amuse yourself with it well it sounds like it will suit your purpose.

If I ever bought a pistol I have my heart set on a FN Five-seveN. I just really love that gun for some reason.

Back