GPU Adhesives

SmokingMan

Veteran XV
Hi all,

I wanted to mod my Radeon 8500. Basically, I want to remove the old heatsink and attach a bigger one.

My question is : can I use crazy glue or epoxy as the adhesive in the four corners of the hsf? I would use AS3 as the thermal conductor but of course it is not an adhesive.

In all of my research, I have only ever seen thermal glue (epoxy) used, so therefore I was not sure if normal crazy glue can withstand the gpu temps.

Thanks... :)

epoxy is the way to go... never heard of someone using crazy glue... but I doubt it'd be a good idea.

epoxy kept my broken bong slide together for like an extra 8 months of repeated exposure to higher temps than a GPU can put out :)

Do NOT use super glue or regular plumbers epoxy. Use something like this: http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/scan/se=Thermal/se=Thermal Compound/mp=menu_search.html

Any of those will work, of course only the epoxy will make it stick. Which leads me to a question, does your GPU fan have pins holding it on? If so, there are many aftermarker fan/heatsinks that are far better than the stock one. In which case you can just swap out heatsinks and use just regular artic silver.

Also, if yours has the tape or adhesive on the stock one, your best bet is to use fingernail polish remover and a Q-tip to get it all off. Just go slow, it takes a bit for it to start disolving the adhesive that they use. And dont put too much back on when you put the fan on.

Thanks for the replies and info. I do have experience with replacing heatsinks, etc. However, I was just not sure if the superglue could withstand the high temperatures output by the cpu. I know that on a regular epoxy, it says that it's temperature range is up to 80 degrees celsius which I would think cover the gpu. Secondly, I am not using the superglue as a replacement for the thermal compound. I am just using the adhesive to keep it in place.

Back