[GPS] Help me pick one.

That does not sound appealing. If Bew wants to go camping, I'm all for that. However, I will stay far away from his colon.

K, just so I'm clear on this, do some models require you to pay subscription fees? I noticed the Magellan Nico's talking about says a subscription is not required, which leads me to believe that other models DO require it. Fuck that noise. Also, am I to understand that you have to upload maps and such to the GPS? Or does it have a basic database and you can add to that to provide greater detail?

I think the more I know about the basic workings will help me choose a unit.

Bump

to be clear, the explorist 500 has no subscription fees, is a great geocaching tool, and can provide you turn by turn navigation in a small, color, waterproof handheld under $200

You may have to buy an SD card and writer for best results, getting started with their software can be challenging, but not impossible.

to be clear, the explorist 500 has no subscription fees, is a great geocaching tool, and can provide you turn by turn navigation in a small, color, waterproof handheld under $200

You may have to buy an SD card and writer for best results, getting started with their software can be challenging, but not impossible.

Cool. What exactly do you need all the software for? Updating the database?

The units come pre-loaded with a "base map" which includes most towns, and major highways. To see any detail at all, or to get turn by turn directions, you need to load "detail maps".

Oddly, you have to use two different programs to do this, one for Topo data, the other for street routing.

I will PM you a useful link

The units come pre-loaded with a "base map" which includes most towns, and major highways. To see any detail at all, or to get turn by turn directions, you need to load "detail maps".

Oddly, you have to use two different programs to do this, one for Topo data, the other for street routing.

I will PM you a useful link

Shit, I responded to your PM without reading this post. Disregard, you answered my question. Thanks.

Back