Google Voice...

Google gets new numbers fairly regularly. My fiancée couldn't get a 425 number at first, and checked like two weeks later and found a whole bunch to choose from.

I'm just going to stop you there; Google voice isn't voip

edit: Although with Google's acquisition of Gizmo5, it will eventually add that capability.
it already has the capability of forwarding calls to a Gizmo account, and with the right VOIP client (X-Lite, 3CX Phone, Gizmo5, SJPhone, etc.) you can receive calls from a PC.
About 2 years ago I had to switch carriers and had a shitty phone so I lost all my contacts and had to throw away my business cards with the old number. Who knows how many customers I lost after pimping that number =/
Unless you also changed geographic area you should have had the option to keep your number with Local Number Portability even swapping carriers. I've done it before.
I use google voice. One neat feature I have found is that you can record phone conversations. Other means of doing this, that I have found, costs money, so this is a great feature!
Which can be annoying if you need to navigate automated menus and Google Voice is interpreting the DTMF at the same time (like pressing either * or # disconnecting you).
I was just happy enough that I got the last 7 digits to spell out BEN-ORGY
One of my Google Voice numbers is FUN-FOOL.

it already has the capability of forwarding calls to a Gizmo account, and with the right VOIP client (X-Lite, 3CX Phone, Gizmo5, SJPhone, etc.) you can receive calls from a PC.

i'm well aware of that.. but that doesn't solve his initial problem in any sort of way since he was looking for a voip client on his cell phone. Nor does what you say dispute the fact that at the moment Google Voice does not provide VOIP service, at least until Gizmo5 is integrated into it completely.

i'm well aware of that.. but that doesn't solve his initial problem in any sort of way since he was looking for a voip client on his cell phone. Nor does what you say dispute the fact that at the moment Google Voice does not provide VOIP service, at least until Gizmo5 is integrated into it completely.
He never said he was looking for a VOIP client for his phone. He said his Cliq doesn't do UMA, which lets him continue to make and receive calls over WiFi in the absence of a cellular signal.

Google Voice for Android, like every other Internet application on his phone, will work over WiFi or a 3G data connection.

I never said he could dial out via Google Voice with a VOIP client, as it currently deducts from your Gizmo balance if you make a call. Yes, when Google completes the integration the process should be as seemless for VOIP client users as is it for those using the mobile app or the web interface, with charges and balance being through Google Voice.

And whether you agree or not, voice over IP services, be it via Skype, a Google Voice app, or SIP clients with STUN servers + login are VOIP. The only differences are protocol and method of transport.

Back