Good news for ROTC people of all branches

pogozorro

Veteran X
I know there are a few of us here, but in the 2004 Defense Authorization Bill signed into law today by President Bush a wonderful provision was put into place.

2004 Defense Authorization Bill
TITLE VII--HEALTH CARE PROVISIONS
Subtitle A--Enhanced Benefits for Reserves
Sec. 708. Eligibility of Reserve officers for health care pending orders to active duty following commissioning.

This means that any commissioned officer pending orders for active duty (in the Army it is waiting for Officer Basic Courses to open) is covered for health care. For some of us having to wait about six months, this is a god send. It gives me more leeway in what I do between graduation and active duty.

never knew you were goin the military route pogz. This is one man I will always trust and obey when he gives me orders :browsmile

Yeah, liq. I actually get commissioned next summer as a 2LT in the Army. As for what I will be doing, specifically, I won't know until the following November. }-P

Hopefully, though, it will be MI or Armor. Either or and I will be happy.

Congrats on the Commission PZ:

I am up for 1st Sgt next year and I am only 30. I have 13 years and have been in combat twice (currently heading back to afghanistan).

If I were going to choose my commission, I would either choose Infantry or MI. Armor is sucky. I have worked in and around Armor, Infantry(Air Assault & Airborne not mechanized though) and also Artillery.

Artillery is the worst, they are numbskulls.

Good luck!

p.s. I liked getting the raise that was in that bill too :p

sweetness.. not that it matters all that much for me anyway.. i'm most likely going smp after this academic year, so i'm automatically covered, and dont have to compete for spots to airborne. I'll have to see how much 3yr scholarships they give to our battalion before i decide on smp or not.

Oh our Department Head for Military Science is LTC Philip deCamp.. 99% of twers have seen or heard of him..

for background and your googleness:

He was the guy who literally drove up in a m1a1 onto the steps of the Iraqi Capital Building and planted the Univ of Georgia Flag.

and on a more sad note he was also the guy that was commanding the tank that took out a cameraman who was shooting film from the top of some hotel in baghdad.

all in all hes a bad ass dude, funny as hell.

Last edited:
Going SMP is not a bad idea. I wish I had done that, but I had a four-year.

Also, yeah, SuperTroop. The extra 4.15% raise will be nice.

godswill said:
For a second there I thought this tread was about Return of the King!

me too. i thought it was going to say that PJ had decided not to cut out saruman or something. dammit, got my hopes up.

Back