Good deal for a cheap PC

misfit

Contributor
Veteran XV
Looking to buy a basic cheap pc for my grandparents. Any good deals going on for your basic get on the internet computer going on this week?

Never ever ever build a PC for a family member unless you want to become the tech support for that PC for the rest of your life. Get a damn Dell or HP and let them call their tech support.

Any colleges around? If you live near one check them out to see if they sell old machines or anything like that...I got an old IBM with windows XP pro, 1GB RAM, 80GB HDD, Pentium 4 2.8ghz, and a 15" LCD monitor for $60...So that would be where I would look.

Please don't buy a dell.

Pass down your tower and build a new one.

Or you buy them an HP Pavillion laptop ordered from Costco.com: Offering thousands of items you won’t find in your local Costco.
That way, they can bring it with them when they visit.

I bought my dad an HP DV6500T, formatted it, and put XP on it. Go on Costco and custom build your own. The newest line is the DV6700T, which has Intel as the processor. Here's my guide to putting XP on a DV6500T.
HP DV6500T Triple Play XP

The great thing about this setup, is it's dual boot. So if something where to completely wipe the XP side, he could boot into Vista and get on the web. The odds of that happening are very slim because I've got free AVG on there, and all he does is surf and check e-mail. Three of my old towers are at my parents, plus the laptop.

Last edited:
Never ever ever build a PC for a family member unless you want to become the tech support for that PC for the rest of your life. Get a damn Dell or HP and let them call their tech support.

thats exactly what i did before. Now i just want to get them something in a box with a number they can call besides mine.

I'd go one step further and say never help them with their PC. Never, ever open that door.

Back