Gold needed for expansion

JuSTCHiLLiN

Veteran XX
What kind of costs will characters need for the expansion. I'm not looking it up and I figured someone here would know. Is it going to be another 1000g to fly around? Getting alts all epic mount/cold weather flying equipped was a pita and I want to know how much gold I will need.

5000g if you want to train 310% flying.

Also new heirlooms are listed as 20,000g but this might just be what the guild pays to unlock them.

whats the easiest way to get a 310% flying mount?

i dont really mind shelling out 5k for it but id prefer grabbing it before

The Ulduar(10/25) Raid Meta would be the easiest I think.

ICC(10/25) or the Holiday meta(What a long strange trip) But you would have to be caught up on all your holiday achievements.

Last edited:
Master riding skill is subject to faction discounts.

If you're exalted with the Kirin Tor, buy it in Dalaran for 4,000. Likewise with Stormwind.

The Ulduar(10/25) Raid Meta would be the easiest I think.

ICC(10/25) or the Holiday meta(What a long strange trip) But you would have to be caught up on all your holiday achievements.

On paper yes, in practice probably not as much. That is unless you have a guild willing to research and work on the HM fights for Ulduar. Whenever I get an Ulduar boss as raid weekly it seems people forget about about the exact mechanics and prefer to do a DPS burn.

People still sell the Ulduar runs I just don't know how much exactly. And comparing weekly raid quest to trying and get a mount out of the zone is pretty stupid.

And if you play one or two days a week in Wrath coming up with 5k gold really shouldn't be that tough.

Unless you're already in a group capable of completing almost all of the meta achievements for the ICC drakes, it'll be cheaper paying 5k than buying it from another group unless they're retarded. I turned down an offer for 20k to get someone a mount in 2 weeks since I stopped doing 10mans a couple months ago, but that's what you'd probably have to pay.

The Ulduar mounts you can get in less than 3 hours if people know the hardmodes. Once again if you don't know people who can carry you, your safest bet is still paying 5k upon Cataclysm's release.

My coworker needs the Lights on his shaman for his rusted, but shelved it in favor of his warrior and rogue come expansion (and he claims healing as a shaman is "boring"). Isn't there one that requires more time though? Having Razorscale kill NPCs during the encounter?

I can't imagine who doesn't have a 310 by now. Its not like Uld is hard, the only challenge in there is +1, and thats no more difficult than some of the ICC HM bosses.
And on that point, even the ICC10 drake is fairly easy to get. Sind is by far the hardest fight of that whole achiev, and it is not that hard.
Steering away from the raiding 310s, there is the violet proto, which just takes time. Less time overall than a full time raiding guild, even. Just have to log on during the events, and take half an hour.

everything in the game seems to scale up by about 3x per expansion. u had about 4k hp in classic, 12 in tbc and 25-30k in wrath. epic mount costs and quest reward gold amounts scaled similarly. I would expect 50k to be a decent amount of gold in wrath.

There is a ton of inflation when an expansion gets released. It's really not worth it to farm gold in wrath so you can buy things in cata. Whatever gold / hour rate you can achieve right now I guarantee you can at least double it in cata.

everything in the game seems to scale up by about 3x per expansion. u had about 4k hp in classic, 12 in tbc and 25-30k in wrath. epic mount costs and quest reward gold amounts scaled similarly. I would expect 50k to be a decent amount of gold in wrath.

There is a ton of inflation when an expansion gets released. It's really not worth it to farm gold in wrath so you can buy things in cata. Whatever gold / hour rate you can achieve right now I guarantee you can at least double it in cata.

Then again you have to remember the prices will be ridiculously high for end-game materials for that first raid time. I remember selling arctic furs for 800g - 1200g a pop two weeks after WotLK release, around the time most people were capping out @ 80, and just the process to MAKE titansteel was several hundred gold. And even those 200 epic BoEs were a pretty penny as well.

Gold can't scale much more than it already is, honestly. I know a ton of people that are gold-capped on at least one character, and I'm sitting on 6 digits without even playing anymore (and I've spent at least 50,000 on shit in GDKP runs).

I've been stockpiling enchanting materials to sell shortly after Cataclysm comes out and supply dries up.

Like Pessi said, a LOT of people are gold capped on at least one toon now. I've spent ~100k in the last month or two in GDKP raids and I still have more than 50k now. If Cataclysm comes out in 8 weeks as MMO Champion suggests that'd be another 80-100k from GDKP alone without touching the AH or logging onto alts more than once a week.

Just this last weekend someone spent 120-130k to buy 3 ilvl277 tier tokens in my GDKP. The same person also bought 7-8 shadowfrost shards that were bid up to 8-10k apiece because they were dumb enough to announce that they (and their girlfriend) showed up with 200k to spend. 277 DBW sold for 60k gold, a few other items sold for 10-15k. Payout was 13064g for 9 hardmodes and 3.5 hours time.

Sad to say I'm not gold capped at all, but I think that's because I spread out my time/effort across multiple toons and not sticking to one. I was trying to finish out my priest on Tich, but when comparing trying to do H-HoR for the OH, gloves, and Heart and smashing my dick with a hammer the smashing-dick option seems less painful.

Character gold cap was increased to the same length as the guild bank gold cap (2^63 (1 bit as sign)).

922,337,203,685,477g 58s 08c

Last edited:
Back