Going to a Career Fair tomorrow - 2 questions

Razer

Contributor
Veteran X
So I'm going to be graduating from College this May with a degree in Software Engineering. Since I should probably get a job in my field at some point, I'm going to a career fair tomorrow at RPI, and I've got a couple of questions.

1. Resume question - should I include old jobs unrelated to my field on my work experience portion? Things like working in retail or fast food while I was in college? It could be beneficial, because I had jobs with slightly more responsibility than the average grunt, but it could also hurt me because they were loser jobs. Opinions?

2. Reference question - I've got a glowing review written about my time in my internship last Summer - Fall. It was written by my old manager, and intended for some of the staff at the Engineering department at my school. My old manager CC'ed me a copy because he thought I would like to see what the company thought of me. It makes me look great and I think it would help my employment chances. It is appropriate to bring a couple of copies of this letter to the fair to go along with my resume? I'm leaning towards not bringing it, but I would like to hear some opinions.

I would not bring such a letter. It makes you look like an egotistical motherfucker. Give it to them when they ask for recommendations and references.

I am pretty egotistical. Cocky might be a better word. But I guess it doesn't always make the best impression.

you want to appear confident, not cocky. and yes i'm pretty sure it's ok to list jobs on your resume that are unrelated to your degree. It doesn't matter if they were lesser jobs, it shows that you have experience working.

Do not bring a letter of recommendation to a career fair. Generally if they ask for a reference I'm pretty sure they want contact with the person, not a letter YOU gave them.

Back