Godzilla! Huge Earthquake in Japan

3.11.11 + 9.11.01 = 12.22.12

The 2012 phenomenon comprises a range of eschatological beliefs that cataclysmic or transformative events will occur on December 21, 2012,[1][2][3] which is said to be the end-date of a 5,125-year-long cycle in the Mayan Long Count calendar.

JUST SAYIN

(bonus points for whoever edited in "eschatological" @ wikipedia. I have no idea what the fuck that means.)

Last edited:
Chief cabinet minister Yukio Edano said radiation levels near the stricken plant on the northeast coast reached as high as 400 millisieverts (mSv) an hour, thousands of times higher than readings before the blast. That would be 20 times the current yearly level for some nuclear-industry employees and uranium miners.

* Exposure to 350 mSv was the criterion for relocating people after the Chernobyl accident, according to the World Nuclear Association.

* People are exposed to natural radiation of about 2 mSv a year.

* Airline crew flying the New York-Tokyo polar route are exposed to 9 mSv a year.

* Exposure to 100 mSv a year is the lowest level at which any increase in cancer is clearly evident. A cumulative 1,000 mSv would probably cause a fatal cancer many years later in five out of every 100 persons exposed to it.

*A single 1,000 mSv dose causes radiation sickness such as nausea but not death. A single dose of 5,000 mSv would kill about half of those exposed to it within a month.

Prime Minister Naoto Kan on Tuesday strongly criticized Tokyo Electric Power Co. for its handling of the earthquake-stricken Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant.

''The TV reported an explosion. But nothing was said to the premier's office for about an hour,'' a Kyodo News reporter overheard Kan saying during a meeting with executives of the power company at its head office. ''What the hell is going on?''

Kan strongly ordered the company not to withdraw its employees from the power plant, which has been facing a series of problems since Friday's massive quake, ranging from explosions to radiation leaks.

''In the event of withdrawal from there, I'm 100 percent certain that the company will collapse,'' Kan said. ''I want you all to be determined.''

The government, as well as the public, has been dissatisfied with the company's way of releasing information regarding the crippled nuclear plant.

Fukushima Gov. Yuhei Sato phoned Kan and told him that ''the fears and anger of residents in the prefecture are reaching the limit,'' according to a prefectural government official.

Sato requested that the government make more efforts to end the nuclear crisis as quickly as possible, the official said.

Following the request, the governor said at a news conference that Kan has promised to take the feelings of people living in the prefecture to heart and give his all to deal with the emergency situation.

Sato complained about the power company's response to the abnormalities of the plant. He said the company ''should provide accurate information much earlier to the central government.''

In an attempt to work more closely together, the government and the company launched Tuesday a joint headquarters for the crisis involving the Fukushima No. 1 plant.

The headquarters set up at the company's head office is headed by Kan, with industry minister Banri Kaieda and TEPCO President Masataka Shimizu serving as deputy chiefs.

they just upgraded the accident level, because some radiation was leaked when waste storage at reactor #4 caught on fire - a reactor that was not even in use when the earthquake hit.

the news is acting like its somehow related to what they've been talking about the entire time, or somehow linked to reactors 1-3.

and it's not the fuel thats burning you stupid cunts, its the wasted fuel that japan recycles.

So was there a 'meltdown' yet, or have they still been mostly mitigating the issue by dumping sea water on the rods? I'm waiting for the next CNN BREAKING NEWS HEADLINE

Well, meltdown isn't a term to really use... because it doesn't really mean anything.

I believe there is still a possibility of the core melting through to the bottom compartment, as designed if needed. but things have been melting for a few days now, different parts of the reactors. so it really just depends on what you mean by 'melt down'.

its going to be another 3 mile island event, in which people in the USA freak out over nothing and nuclear programs get pushed back another 20-30 years because of it.

(thats my understanding at least, i'm by no means an expert :) )

Clearly nuclear technology is dangerous. Keep in mind that after a mere 8.9 magnitude earthquake and a tsunami there was enough damage to the plant to cause a non-incident. This is already the 2nd non-incident we've had in almost 30 years of non-incident free energy production.

You never hear anything bad about burning coal.

This message brought to you by Coal, America's safest power source.

Wow, I knew about aftershocks, but I never realized they kept going half a week after the earthquake :shock:

Edit: I just looked online, said it was a 6.0. Does that sound about right?
Edit2: thanks zombie!

Last edited:
Yeah, I felt it that one too. I was sitting there thinking, if this gets any worse, I'm running out that door. Luckily it subsided after like a few seconds.

i hope lgbr buys a bunny rabbit, when he mutates if he doesn't become a mutant bunny i'm going to be pissed

Back