[Global collapse] How prepared are you RIGHT NOW?

Only fngr forgets about a water purification system.

I've got all my light weight camping gear, canoe and directions to the BWCA. I'd probably swing by a Cabella's and loot a rifle too but until then I'm cool.

Seriously. It could happen in the next hour or it may never happen.

Of course, I have my underground autonomous compound and my 100-year food/water supply so don't even think for a second that you're going to "out do" yours truly where survival preparedness is concerned.

I just want to know how you plan on surviving when the wheels come to a screeching halt.

beer doesnt last that long and i have to question the survival skills of a nurse.

Do you have full NBC protective gear for everyone in your household?

a well stocked personal pharmacy, vaccinations, antibiotics, anti virals, lab capability?

how far can you travel with what's on your property right this moment? how far can you transmit without your cell phone and do you know anyone worth talking to?

body armor? clothing for all weather conditions? Night vision?

Do you have an extensive personal library full of information that would be relevant during a collapse? in PDF and print?

do you have a plan for what to do if an emergency happens while you're separated from your family? do you know what book code is?

a well stocked personal pharmacy, vaccinations, antibiotics, anti virals, lab capability?

how far can you travel with what's on your property right this moment? how far can you transmit without your cell phone and do you know anyone worth talking to?

Do you have an extensive personal library full of information that would be relevant during a collapse? in PDF and print?

do you have a plan for what to do if an emergency happens while you're separated from your family? do you know what book code is?

do you? really?

I can answer "No" to only the anti-virals, the lab, body armor and night vision.

Seriously. We have a plan. We have the resources. And I know the location where we can ride all of this out. BTW, I always keep hard-copy print on any subject of relevance.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass. If you do, good for you, seriously. So many people let their zombie fantasies overtake them and are all about 'I need me some guns and sum ammo' and never consider even things like first aid, drinking water or mobility, not to mention more substantial medical needs or even have the beginnings of a proper plan.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass. If you do, good for you, seriously. So many people let their zombie fantasies overtake them and are all about 'I need me some guns and sum ammo' and never consider even things like first aid, drinking water or mobility, not to mention more substantial medical needs or even have the beginnings of a proper plan.

until the advent of modern medicine disease killed more soldiers in war time than enemy action by a large margin. and those were people that were looking for a fight.

I have no intention to slip back to a time like that.

What about 'after'?

I see a lot of people that build an 'oh shit' box and include things like a sealed PVC pipe with loads of different seeds in it. How about power? I've been looking at rollable solar cells. A little pricey, but would seem to be a decent investment for something like this

this thread reminds me of

blast_from_the_past.jpg

As you are not a homeowner, I'm pretty certain you won't be modifying the foundation of that house until you DO own it. No bunker for you, tubby.

until the advent of modern medicine disease killed more soldiers in war time than enemy action by a large margin. and those were people that were looking for a fight.

I have no intention to slip back to a time like that.
Part of the reasons for disease were because you had soldiers from multiple regions coming to camp together in close-quarters and they ate mostly pork and bird--that's where they discovered the origin of the Spanish flu. Put pigs, turkeys/chickens and lots of humans in close quarters and you get some pretty virulent stuff.

Nothing happens when you put pigs & elephants together though. :shrug:

And Van? What're you talking about? I'm on the downside of a 20-year mortgage that I could pay off in a pinch if I didn't want to penalize my retirement account & the like.

Turns out you need a plow.

Might have worked out for you in the 70's, on a modern farm today you have to deal with seeds that only germinate if they're sprayed with round-up, Monsanto has been buying up seed suppliers to push their GMO shit and suing farmers for saving their seed.

Any existing food supply on a farm would be destroyed and devoured by the millions of people trying to escape the city.

I recently saw a documentary about Monsanto screwing over organic farmers simply because some of their genetically-altered (and patented) plants were turning up on the organic farmer's property. Pretty sh*tty tactic imo.

That's why I was reccomending agrarian seed as a barter item. You want something that will reproduce. You also want multiple varieties in order to stave off disease.

Back