Getting insurance to pay up

diskmagnet

Veteran X
Came home from work today and found a couple inchs of water in my basement.

I had just re did the entire basement ( new walls flooring , the whole deal. )
SO i will be claiming for some professionals to come in and redo what needs to be redone. I lost probally about half my clothes, my wife even more so.

This was the second time this happened, this time was only a few inchs last time was 3 feet. But I had jsut bought the house, and wasnt insured yet. Yeah I was stupid, I learned. Anyways so I'm hittin insurance up for every damn cent I can. Every sock, every old piece of computer stuff laying around.

My question is, can I /should I claim so things that may still work but may have been damaged? Do they check this shit? I'm up to about 5k in random stuff not even counting the walls and flooring. ( 2k easy ).

I'm just lookin g for tips, and/or things to do to make sure I get what I deserve.

Oh and it was a overflowed sewage line from the city. So i'm hoping that means they will pay my deductable.

Sigh.

My question is, can I /should I claim so things that may still work but may have been damaged? Do they check this shit? I'm up to about 5k in random stuff not even counting the walls and flooring. ( 2k easy ).
should you? well probably not. can you? as long as it's not so over the top that it could be considered criminally fradulent sure.

I dont plan on flat out lying, although i am tempted to see if I could pass an old HDD as a raptor drive, a old 1.8p4 as a x6800 and a old GF3 as a 8800gtx.

What I am torn between is claiming stuff that was sitting in sewage and I dont want to work anymore. it may leaked in but it works NOW, dont know about long term.

As well as the whole gross factor. WTF wants to use a printer that waded in sewage?

We had our entire basement stripped and cleaned out and then items replaced due to water damage from a broken Washing machine or something.

Insurance paid for everything. And I claimed everything I could, even my old Sega Genesis and 32X video games.

Claim everything there that was damaged, and your insurance will decide if they will cover it for you or not.

make a huge list of everything
then remove the stuff that is just over the top crap. and then a little more so that they hopefully get back with you faster

Back