Gates suggests 'stamps' for email

Yea this is pretty ofn, but insane. i don't get spam anyway, i have a seperate email for things i need to give my email to, and a personal one. Penny an email is retarded.

Gates can suck my cock before he fucks up email more. They have done enough to STFU.

Really I already send out a low amount of email myself, but their idea of solving a puzzle everytime I want to send out an email? Give me a break.

Plus I'm sure Cox Cable would just love to have an excuse to charge people more money if they went with the penny idea.

Did you guys RTFA?

He also suggested a donation of 10 seconds of CPU time to some distributed project. Not a bad idea.

I honestly don't mind the idea...BUT...I do not see how this could be executed well at all with foreign places sending email...etc.

I'd like it better if the U.S. imposed a tax on all incoming email to the U.S. unless the country of origin allows extradition of spammers to a U.S. prison. But before they enter the general population in prison the spammer will have the words "child molester" tattooed on their foreheads. :bigthumb:

Ah well I did read that wrong the first time, I thought it meant 10 seconds of the users time to solving the puzzle.

Well that's a doubly worse idea then, that really wouldn't stop spammers at all, just delay them :shrug: It's a nice thought.. but it doesn't solve the problem.

A penny added onto $40CAD a month? For the 4-5 emails a month I actually send, I give away more pennies. The fact that I'd be able to send like 500 emails for 5 bucks isn't gonna kill me. And, if that kind of system did come into place, certain ISPs like maybe Sympatico and Rogers would use it to their advantage. Like 500 free emails a month, or something. As for spammers, I get more then what I send in spam. Fuckin' spam is outrageous. And the only reason I don't get spammed on my sympatico email is cause the stupid thing is broken and I can't receive, but I can send...wtf. Anyways... I can't say I disagree, or that I agree with it. The only people affected would be companies or forums, etc... but then they wouldn't need to pay unless you deemed them junk-mail. If that was the case, then the forum admins could prolly add somethign to the agreement like if you hit agree then you'll make sure you waive the 1 cent fee. Whatever the case, spam is annoying, and it's nice to see Gates is at least putting forth an effort to stop it rather then sitting back living high off of Windows.

Vampire said:
Really I already send out a low amount of email myself, but their idea of solving a puzzle everytime I want to send out an email? Give me a break.

Plus I'm sure Cox Cable would just love to have an excuse to charge people more money if they went with the penny idea.

It's not you who have to solve the puzzle; it's the computer. By tying up the computer with a problem that takes the computer roughly ten seconds to solve, it eliminates the number of spam emails that can be generated by one computer in a given day. When the average Joe wants to send an email, all he has to wait is 10 seconds and its gone through.

Vampire said:
Ah well I did read that wrong the first time, I thought it meant 10 seconds of the users time to solving the puzzle.

Well that's a doubly worse idea then, that really wouldn't stop spammers at all, just delay them :shrug: It's a nice thought.. but it doesn't solve the problem.

Actually, that'd be harsh on Spammers. 600 users in an hour of computer time? Especially if it was really hard core 10 seconds of processor cramming, so they can't even multitask something else, whilst sending 1 email? That'd be brutal. It wouldn't stop it, no, but it'd make it a painstaking procedure to spam.

it wouldnt affect spammers because spammers could just set up their own mailservers to send mail for free. i could go deeper into this but i think that its really not worth it

Psycadelc said:
it wouldnt affect spammers because spammers could just set up their own mailservers to send mail for free. i could go deeper into this but i think that its really not worth it

gates cant be that stupid, looks like he just finding more ways to get money.

Back