[Gadgets] Best solar charger?

henry

Veteran XV
Yo Teedub gadget lovers,

I'm looking for a solar charger so I can charge my phone during a camping trip.

Does anyone have experience with them, or have any suggestions?

Here's an Asian girl wearing a solar panel for your time:

solar-bra-1.jpg

Solio makes a few good portable ones.

I use this Solio H1000 Universal Hybrid Charger (Orange) and strap it to the outside of the backpack. The only problem is if even one bar gets shade on it it, the thing will not take a charge. Bonus is that you can charge it USB and have a full charge before you go.

keep in mind i got mine a few years back so im sure there is better ones now a days.

Might also want to look at REI.com and see if the fold out kind is more suitable for your needs... like if you car camp.

Solio makes a few good portable ones.

I use this Solio H1000 Universal Hybrid Charger (Orange) and strap it to the outside of the backpack. The only problem is if even one bar gets shade on it it, the thing will not take a charge. Bonus is that you can charge it USB and have a full charge before you go.

keep in mind i got mine a few years back so im sure there is better ones now a days.

Might also want to look at REI.com and see if the fold out kind is more suitable for your needs... like if you car camp.

Do you need to have your phone hooked up to it all day for it to charge?

Do you need to have your phone hooked up to it all day for it to charge?

I had that same charger in Utah, and SF. He isn't playing about the shade thing at all. I would let it sit in the sun all day and charge the phone at night. You can also charge it via the usb on a laptop.

You can buy that one or the 2 better ones at Radio Shack.

It's worth it. Or you can buy one of those everywhere chargers for like $20 at walgreens or cvs that runs on 2 AA battery's. Use rechargeable battery's and just take a bunch of the charged battery's with you on your trip.

Total investment for the charger, wall thing and rechargeable battery's is like $50

Yeah I don't want one of those cheap ones that run on AA batteries.

If I'm not under direct sunlight it won't charge? That kinda sucks.

why do you hook it up to your vw bro whilst sipping your starbucks and typing an email on your macbook ?
HatersGonnaHatePanda.jpg

Yeah I don't want one of those cheap ones that run on AA batteries.

If I'm not under direct sunlight it won't charge? That kinda sucks.

yea i was kinda bummed about that.

I tested it out with my finger. When its taking a charge a little led light comes on. So i got it in the sun and it was charging fine. I took my finger and made a shadow that is just the size of 1 of the panels. Turns the charging light off :/

it charges pretty fast. Last time i used it i was hiking so i didnt pay attention to how long it took.

Back