Fuel [Game]

The fact that it has a (silly) Guiness Book of World Records record for the the Biggest Console Game Ever with 5,500+ square miles of playable area is pretty cool. Not sure I'll pick it up right away (especially with Burnout Paradise's Big Surf Island being released this week), but it looks like something I'll buy soon'ish

I've never been much of a fan of Burnout games. I've always been partial to MSR/PGR, DiRT, GRID, etc.

I've never been much of a fan of Burnout games. I've always been partial to MSR/PGR, DiRT, GRID, etc.

You might think about giving Burnout Paradise a shot. Previous Burnout games were all about crashing, which can be great fun if you're playing with a bunch of friends, but isn't quite as cool if you're just playing solo.

Paradise is a lot more open-world racing and challenges. Yes, there's a Crashing for Money component to the game, but its completely opt-in and you can ignore it completely if you want.

I've been looking forward to a good driver for a while now. What are "they" bitching about exactly btw? Just curious.

From Eurogamer FUEL Review - Page 2 // PS3 /// Eurogamer - Games Reviews, News and More (They gave it a 5/10)
It's also worth dwelling upon the memory of Evolution Studios' game - the first one anyway - because its track design clarifies a lot of FUEL's mistakes. MotorStorm may have been lap-based, but each of its few courses was carefully threaded with intertwining routes that rewarded experimentation and canny vehicle selection; FUEL's tracks are meandering sprawls that seldom reward either, whether you play the 70-plus pre-recorded options or mark out your own in the creator. The early promise of balancing the risk of filling your damage bar against the need for speed through a difficult corner also proves a red herring; even if you don't find yourself having to reset often (and thanks to a lot of deadly unmarked obstacles, you will), the AI is sufficiently inconsistent, gifting you race after "Expert" race for long periods and then savaging you for fun, to dilute its significance.

There's certainly a lot of content, at least - and with that much playground, devoted online off-roaders may be confident to write their own routes out of the mire. But all the same it seems unlikely. Of FUEL's many promises, too many are either broken or undermined by its handling, layouts, logic or interface shortcuts. There's no denying Asobo's achievement in building such a daring, beautiful landscape on such a vast scale, but the core of any good racing game is falling in love with its vehicles, the things you can do with them, and the places you can take them, and by that measure FUEL is distinctly average.

looks pretty cool. i always like the different type racers like jet moto, powerslide, fzero. wish i had a 360.

You might think about giving Burnout Paradise a shot. Previous Burnout games were all about crashing, which can be great fun if you're playing with a bunch of friends, but isn't quite as cool if you're just playing solo.

Paradise is a lot more open-world racing and challenges. Yes, there's a Crashing for Money component to the game, but its completely opt-in and you can ignore it completely if you want.

I did rent it actually, and it wasn't at all bad. I plan on picking it up once target puts it on clearance (it's only $19.99 as it is now). I'm a HUGE racing game fan (only street/rally though).

My take on the game:

Graphics: 8.5/10 (For the massive landscape and changing weather they probably had to scale back the detail a bit)

Gameplay: 8/10 (An arcade style racer, no boundaries, you can take shortcuts.. don't buy it if you are expecting realism. This game is meant to be surreal.)

Replayability: n/a (I haven't gotten this far yet)

The criticism that this game isn't like the others and therefore is very average is completely off-base, considering they hit on totally new concepts of racing. There are plenty of vehicles (75) and over 5,000 miles of free-roam area.

If you want Gran Turismo or Forza - don't buy this game. If you like Motorstorm, GTA, Burnout.. you will almost assuredly enjoy this game.

how does this 5000 miles of free roam area work? does it take like 12 hours to drive from one end of the game to the other?

I bought it for the 360. I have no idea if the PS3 version's graphics are any better but these remind me a little of a mix between GTA4 and Gears of War graphics.

Regarding free-roam: it will take you hours, maybe a day to travel from one end to the other. I believe you can use a helicopter to travel to race events which will take you around the world.

Back