Fucking iTunes.

loop

Veteran XX
I give up.

I've tried everything I can think of short of reinstalling Windows.

The issue:
iTunes stopped working. Just wouldn't come up. It'd sit in the device manager, but that's it. No screens.

So i did what anyone would do - tried a repair thru the control panel. It hangs. I try uninstalling everything apple-related on my system, rebooting, manually deleting shit, and then reinstalling. It hangs on "registering itunes automation server" and sits... and sits... and sits. I left it overnight, even - and it still was sitting there. I've tried all sorts of little tweaks to try to get it to work, disabled AV, everything.

Has anyone else had this problem and fixed it? Nothing I'm googling is working.

That particular problem is not one I've yet had with iTunes. Naturally it is only a matter of time. Try using resmon to see what connections it is trying to establish, then check your routing thereto?

iTunes is a poorly programmed, bloated piece of shit. I've had a very wide array of problems with it on a wide array of hardware. But not the problem you're encountering.

That particular problem is not one I've yet had with iTunes. Naturally it is only a matter of time. Try using resmon to see what connections it is trying to establish, then check your routing thereto?

... as in connections outside the system? there should be none. that registration it's trying to do is some kind of internal service registration.

nobody else has a zune and i can't hook mine up anywhere b/c all of the connections are for ipods

but at least the software is decent :)

Process Monitor (Windows Sysinternals: Documentation, downloads and additional resources) to trace the various iTunes related processes? Protip: immediately pause the monitor and filter out registry key open/close/write/query/whatever operations.

Do this first. The one you want is actually Process Explorer: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653

If that doesn't work, there's a way to pull a stack trace using the Windows SDK... but it's pretty involved. I can get you pointed in the right direction at least.

itunes is junk, thanks apple for shit software and the borrowed hardware. That company could fuck up a cup of coffee.

Back