fuck! I thought I was building my credit for the past 3 years, but I wasn't!

Carry a balance, don't pay the whole card off every month, it does more if you have SOME balance than if you carry none.

Uhm no. No no fucking-a jesus christ no. Pay the fucking thing off and just use it but zero it out monthly. Why have any outstanding debt if you have the cash to clear it? Your credit score will be fine.

It didn't occur to you to maybe check a credit report at any time in the past 3 years?

The endless offers have ended. I used to get a few a week, nothing on my end changed, now it's rare that I get anything.

Uhm no. No no fucking-a jesus christ no. Pay the fucking thing off and just use it but zero it out monthly. Why have any outstanding debt if you have the cash to clear it? Your credit score will be fine.
Because MaxxCarnage is retarded to the MAXX

I don't think all those endless offers will come now that there's a credit crunch. Basically everyone will get credit the way it should of been.

Get a gas card and pay it off each month. After a year you should be able to get a Discover.

Don't revolve the balance or you'll get used to it. Pay the whole thing on time each month. I have an 855 score, or something like that, it's way up there. Yes, if I revolved it would be higher, but fuck that. I buy groceries, gas, and a few bills on the discover, and pay on time.
You need to have credit already in order to get them, but I still see 2 or 3 offers per week.

10% of the total of the credit line is what I've heard suggested

This is absolutely wrong. You don't need to pay interest to establish good credit. All you have to do is use the card so that it gets reported on your credit or avoid being closed by the issuer due to inactivity.

Keep all your payments on time and you don't have to do anything else to get a good score, ever. Average account age and payment history are two huge determinents of score. It will come in time and faster then you think.

Also, anything over 720 fico already qualifies you for the best rates. Your income and debt will determine the rest if you apply for a mortgage, car loan, more credit cards, etc.

Last edited:
Ok e-tards, if you hold zero fucking balance it can, and often times will not show you as having an open credit line, having no credit out decreases your chances of getting a loan or whatever it is you intend on using the credit for. Banks like it when you carry a balance, and you will be rewarded far more if you carry a 10 - 30% balance (yes, up to 30% is GOOD for your score). Sure you can pay it off every month, but A. Most new contracts will have 0% for a year any how, B. It will just take longer to build the credit.
I'm not gonna make this a pissing contest but do your research. In the line of work I'm in I deal with a lot of financial directors and shit, I have an idea of wtf I'm talking about.

paying student loans has been good for my credit i guess

i just got my first non-debit credit card with a 5000 dollar limit

i plan on paying it off in full each month, despite the sage advice that maxxcarnage has offered

Ok e-tards, if you hold zero fucking balance it can, and often times will not show you as having an open credit line, having no credit out decreases your chances of getting a loan or whatever it is you intend on using the credit for. Banks like it when you carry a balance, and you will be rewarded far more if you carry a 10 - 30% balance (yes, up to 30% is GOOD for your score). Sure you can pay it off every month, but A. Most new contracts will have 0% for a year any how, B. It will just take longer to build the credit.
I'm not gonna make this a pissing contest but do your research. In the line of work I'm in I deal with a lot of financial directors and shit, I have an idea of wtf I'm talking about.

So you suggest wasting money by paying interest on 30% of your credit line. Brilliant. Your credit rating will be perfectly fine if you don't have any permanent outstanding debt. By all means use the card but pay it off ffs. If it takes longer to establish a higher score so be it. A huge portion of our economic meltdown at the moment is misuse\overuse of credit.

Sorry but if you aren't applying for new cards or a home loan any time soon then there is zero reason to keep a credit balance just for the sake of a stupid FICO score. I'm zeroed out at the moment on my cards. My rates couldn't possibly be lower and my score is rock solid. What do I personally get now by keeping my credit balance up?

How old are you and how old is the card? Do you have a lot of other cards?

27. Card is a little over 2 years old. It is my only credit card. The only other line of credit I have out right now is my car payment which I have never been late on and have paid more than the regular payments for a few months now. Other loans that I have since paid off were all my student loans. I took care of those within 6 months of graduating but that was back in 2003.

I have asked them to increase my limit but they said that they review accounts on a periodic basis and make the determination then and they cannot do it at my request. I think that is a bunch of bullshittery, but that is what I was told.

Back