FTP wizards, show me haw smart you are, help please

JACKASS!

Veteran X
I decided to rebuild my site and I'm having some trouble uploading a file, everything else went just fine but the largest single file is a 540kb php file and it just won't upload, with cute ftp it starts ok then sloaws down to nothing then I get "ERROR> Trashed Response" , with smart ftp it starts fine the slows downs and times out, even though I set my timeout wait for like 300 seconds.

Do any of you know any tricks? or why this might do this?

Thanx

Bohica said:
Your own server? What ftp software?

Not my own server, it's rented space from Dixiesys, and I've tried both Cute ftp pro, and Smart ftp.

Oh, and I notice that I set myself up for some spelling jabs... Yes I meant "How" not "Haw".

try upping it with the ftp program that came with windows.

open a command prompt
type ftp
op
ftp.dixiesys.com (or whatever)
put in your login and password
cd /wherever/you/want/to/put/the/file
lcd /wherever/your/php/is/on/your/computer
hash
bin
put filename.php

see what it does

strange, wonder why the programs didn't work then because that is basically what the programs would do. they would just execute those same commands roughly... go figure.

Were you trying to transfer the PHP file in ASCII when using cuteftp? By default PHP is included in the ASCII type transfer for most applications. The FTP server may have a transfer limit for text indexes that is preventing your transfer in ASCII mode, explaining why the binary transfer worked.

In the past, I've also found SmartFTP to be exceptionally unstable for me. It would always time out on downloads, etc, when other software like FTP Voyager worked with total stability.

:shrug:

Ascain is most likely correct though. Just saying SmartFTP gets you what you pay for.

FUBAR|Ascain said:
Were you trying to transfer the PHP file in ASCII when using cuteftp? By default PHP is included in the ASCII type transfer for most applications. The FTP server may have a transfer limit for text indexes that is preventing your transfer in ASCII mode, explaining why the binary transfer worked.

I think I had it set for auto, which if you're correct would have then left it uploading in ASCII because that would be default. I'll try changing the name and selecting binary and see what it does.

Thanx for the info from all of you.

BTW.. woohoo this is the first time I've had a topic on the front page for more than 30 minutes (I know the forum is kinda dead)

You can set PHP to transfer as binary by default by editing your global settings preferences, transfer settings, ascii types, and removing PHP from the list. You can manually add it to the binary type in a similar fashion.

I would reccomed FlashFXP for Dixiesys as well, not that it give you something the others cannot, aside from a very user friendly interface, but I've had no problems uploading anything to them in the two or so years I've been a member (of Dixiesys)

Back