Freedom to Iraq

SuperTrap said:
Those people in Iraq still don't know who the person is they are voting for cause no one is publishing the names of the candidates.

democracy in action!! Having a vote over there right now is a joke...

TF_Baxter said:
We didn't care about Afghanistan either.

No, we just wanted to punish them which I was all for...we pulled most of our men out almost right away...only to send them to Iraq though.

DruMAX said:
No, we just wanted to punish them which I was all for...we pulled most of our men out almost right away...only to send them to Iraq though.

You didn't understand my point.

We didn't care about Afghanistan after the Soviets withdrew. And what was the result of that?

Null Space said:
Who says it was forced upon them, maybe they wanted it but didn't have the required military power to rebel like we did some 200 years ago. Even though personally I don't agree with the reasons we went in, we are there now. And if the people want a tirant to lead them, at least now it could be their decision.

for people that want this freedom they are sure putting up one hell of a fight

Kelven said:
for people that want this freedom they are sure putting up one hell of a fight

Not really. The insurgency in Iraq is not nearly as bad as most people think it is. When a country is brimming with uncontrolled arms and high explosives, a small minority is generally free to cause a lot of hell. If the minority was significant, I'm afraid there would be no way in hell such a small number of American/coalition soldiers would be able to keep control of the country without resorting to extremely brutal tactics harkening back to colonial days.

Warfare is a nasty business, but I think most people today have really lost track of how nasty it really is and generally blow things out of proportion. It's sad that people die early, but that's just a fact of life. People are dying all over the world for all kinds of stupid ass reasons. I think it's terrible when our soldiers die, but at least they died trying to do something worthwhile and that's a lot better than most people.

The majority of people in Iraq were oppressed by Saddam and the Sunni minority. Those people will be happy to have power, and eventually, they will need to pony up the backbone to defend their own country and government. But coming from decades of oppression, it's going to take some time, and some American blood spilled before it happens. And when it's all done, the first Arab democracy will be in place - and that can only be a good thing.

Turkey isnt an arab democracy?

I guess its debatable if american blood being spilled and money thrown at it is worth it. TO me it isnt worth one single american life.

DruMAX said:
Turkey isnt an arab democracy?

I guess its debatable if american blood being spilled and money thrown at it is worth it. TO me it isnt worth one single american life.

Turks aren't Arabs.

Democracy is freedom, there is no freedom without choice so by definition we are giving them freedom. Military isnt a political system, our invasion (or liberation) of iraq wasnt a democivasion but the system we are giving them is democratic

|VM| what constitutes a weapon of mass destruction?? Something capable of inflicting mass casualties? hundreds of thousands, maybe millions? Because i think we dug one of those out of a hole

Last I checked Turks were indeed Arab. Ya know, the whole Ottoman empire deal who's capital was in Istanbul.

Kizzak said:
Didn't really agree with the reasons for going in, but once in we have no choice but to see it through. Anything less than ensuring a stable Iraq would be shirking responsibility for what we have wrought.

But if you take it one step further, what do we do if WE are a destabilizing force?

If America withdrew from Iraq, leaving a US-friendly Shia government in place, and provided them with our tech and weapons to fight the "insurgents" wouldn't that save American lives and fulfil our responsiblity?

Excel said:
Dru is right, brown people have no right to be free.

I never said that...If they want freedom, more power to them...there are plenty of black people who could have used our help in africa as we sat by and did nothing at all. I simply dont think its our concern what is going over there...saddam was not directly effecting us any more than any of the many other despots we do nothing about.

Its funny you would compare saddam to WMD since there is a regime in Sudan that has killed roughly a million of its own citizens for the last 10 years and I can assure you that we wont be invading them any time soon.

Like I said, I completely sick of the rationalizations as to why we did it...I have heard them all, if they havent been proven incorrect, they are concept like freedom and helping the poor people that we dont go out of our way to bring to any other country. Go ask rwanda if america believes in helping poor people being slaughtered by their government...they would say that while they were being slaughtered, we sat there and watched and in the end did nothing and that has been repeated many times.

The justifications suck, the whining by the other side sucks, Iraq all day and night on the news and in my paper sucks...America just get the fuck out.

If you want to discuss our record of fucking up other countries in the name of freedom and democracy (and interest of america) I invite you to read this book: Inside Cia's Private World: Declassified Articles from the Agency's Internal Journal, 1955-1992 good read...

TF_Baxter said:
Not really. The insurgency in Iraq is not nearly as bad as most people think it is. When a country is brimming with uncontrolled arms and high explosives, a small minority is generally free to cause a lot of hell. If the minority was significant, I'm afraid there would be no way in hell such a small number of American/coalition soldiers would be able to keep control of the country without resorting to extremely brutal tactics harkening back to colonial days.

Warfare is a nasty business, but I think most people today have really lost track of how nasty it really is and generally blow things out of proportion. It's sad that people die early, but that's just a fact of life. People are dying all over the world for all kinds of stupid ass reasons. I think it's terrible when our soldiers die, but at least they died trying to do something worthwhile and that's a lot better than most people.

The majority of people in Iraq were oppressed by Saddam and the Sunni minority. Those people will be happy to have power, and eventually, they will need to pony up the backbone to defend their own country and government. But coming from decades of oppression, it's going to take some time, and some American blood spilled before it happens. And when it's all done, the first Arab democracy will be in place - and that can only be a good thing.

that is all fine and good but 10 years from now when it is all for nothing.....then what? Our plan will not work.

Marweas said:
But if you take it one step further, what do we do if WE are a destabilizing force?

If America withdrew from Iraq, leaving a US-friendly Shia government in place, and provided them with our tech and weapons to fight the "insurgents" wouldn't that save American lives and fulfil our responsiblity?

Great idea...it will all go to shit anyway but at least it wont be us dying.

Back