FPS drop after installing RAM... what did i fuck up?

For one thing it isnt a dramatic drop... it is simply noticeable.

anyway my PC is an alienware from a few years back so without me finding out and posting my exact specs perhaps you can just help me out by description.

The mobo itself has 6 ram slots... 3 are orange and the original 3 sticks of 2gb ram were in said orange slots.

I removed the original ram and replaced it with 3 high end corsair 4gb sticks in the same 3 orange slots i removed the other sticks from. (went from 6gb to 12gb)

wtf am i doing wrong here; and should I have left the original ram alone and placed the corsair 4gb cards along side the originals to make it 18gbs? I seem to recall mixing ram like that was a bad idea...

EDIT- Below was the solution to my problem as well as final info and question about my BIOS and Ram

Fixing performance was done by setting my -Ai O.C. Tuner- to XMP setting with ram vendor's profile and after that updating my window's base performance score

Speaking of the above (and still running vista) anyone know if they ever allowed the score to go above 5.9?

Below is the details of my BIOS and settings plus OC question-

--

Well i think i figured it all out and mostly because i decided to mess with a particular setting.

this is what my BIOS shows under advanced
-----

Ai O.C. Tuner -options= XMP, DOCP, Manual, Auto (this under XMP was the key)
(when under DOCP) DRAM O.C. Profile (either 1805mhz or 21-5mhz)

{under XMP which was described as linking CPU and DRAM clock speeds vs DOCP which was described as overclocking, there were two profiles... profile 1 was intel's profile and profile 2 was RAM Vendor's Profile this set my timings and my clock speed at 2006 as well as bumped my cpu ratio to 19}

Under DOCP you have this below CPU ratio (XMP also modified the below under profile 2)

BCLK = 150
PCIE = 100
DRAM Freq = 1805, 2105, 2406, AUTO
Cpu Ratio (was 18 now 19 under XMP)

Im pretty much all set but still have a final question...

If i were to desire to overclock the ram/system a value just higher enough to be noticed what would i do and modify?

Last edited:
3z0af5v.gif

Off top of my head.

Make sure its triple channel memory you added cause that's what it sounds like you had.

Check timings in BIOS make sure ram was recognized.

Refresh windows experience score on vista and 7.

if the motherboard maker doesn't explicitly state the exact model of ram is supported, odds are it's not supported (at the expected speeds)

alot of times new ram from the factory was rushed out and not "smoothed" out and can cause a rough pipeline from the cache to the north bus

just use a little sandpaper on the gold bands where you plug the ram in

should be ok

lol@advanced sandpaper fix

from what I read, games don't really give a shit what ram you're running generally, so fps issue may be unrelated

very very few motherboards support triple channel. Mostly only the original i7 socket types

i7? ive got an intel that is i7...

anyway the bios has many many options many of which or set to auto and are supposed to do shit to enhance performance...

Ive got options for...

DDR3 Freq
QPI Freq
DRAM Timing

--- Btw in the above quote from newegg it mentions 2000mhz while in my options aside from auto the two closest are 1866 and 2133

im also noticing some system slow down with firefox not responding for a second... it is quite weird.

anyway what am i to modify and what value anyway?

Back