[Film Cameras] Nikon FM10

Zear

Veteran XV
My daughter needs a manual 35mm film camera for a class. I have agreed I will buy it, but I keep ownership. I am trying to decide what to buy.

I lean toward a Nikon SLR, because I intend to buy a D200 in the next year or so. Therefore I immediately looked at the Nikon site.

The FM10 seems like a good choice:

• Reasonably priced
  • Good quality
  • Required features

Can anyone offer comment (on the camera, dipshit)?

And no, no pics of daughter. Get a life. :sunny:

I would clarify what the photo teacher means by "manual." My old teacher said that but did not mean you have to buy an old all manual camera, but rather you need one with manual functions. If it is the later, get her something like a N75. You can get a kit for around $200 and that would be the way to go.

i'd imagine that would be a fine camera

there's dpreview.com if you need more info

That's a great site, but the 'd' in dpreview.com is for digital, and there are no reviews of film cameras there that I can find.

I would clarify what the photo teacher means by "manual." My old teacher said that but did not mean you have to buy an old all manual camera, but rather you need one with manual functions. If it is the later, get her something like a N75. You can get a kit for around $200 and that would be the way to go.

Now why doesn't the Nikon web site show that camera when you follow the link for film SLRs?

Looks like a decent camera to me. Any other opinions?

Last edited:
Just buy her a Pentax K1000. It's an absolute workhorse of a camera and chances are it will outlive you and her both. You really can't get much more manual either. Another great choice is the Canon EF. That's the camera I use. Awesome camera.

I was also going to suggest a pentax K1000 as I had one for my photography class in high school and I still have it. It's 30 years old now and still works perfectly.

My daughter needs a manual 35mm film camera for a class. I have agreed I will buy it, but I keep ownership. I am trying to decide what to buy.

I lean toward a Nikon SLR, because I intend to buy a D200 in the next year or so. Therefore I immediately looked at the Nikon site.

The FM10 seems like a good choice:

• Reasonably priced
  • Good quality
  • Required features

Can anyone offer comment (on the camera, dipshit)?

And no, no pics of daughter. Get a life. :sunny:

uh sure

the d200 is a solid choice

the FM10 probably won't be compatible with the newer lenses.. not sure if its compatible with AF-S or any DX lenses, for starters. The D200 is of course compatible with everything made in the last 50 years..

how much do used F6's cost? a lot, probably..

I was also going to suggest a pentax K1000 as I had one for my photography class in high school and I still have it. It's 30 years old now and still works perfectly.

Well that's just it. With a fully mechanical camera (or almost like my EF) it'll last forever. My EF is almost 34 years old. My father also has an EF that he bought brand new in '73. He uses it as his main camera. They're just build like tanks. For example when he was in Egypt the camera strap slipped off his shoulder. The camera swung down and slammed into the edge of the concrete sidewalk. Damage done? It dented the cover of the prism very slightly. I'd love to see what would happen to a DSLR in that same situation. :p:

my 1DII (and 70-200) survived a motorcycle crash

they were in a bag but still, lol. I sold the 1D but I still use the lens.

Don't know anybody with a 35mm collecting dust in the closet? Is she going to continue shooting film once the class is over?

(well I guess you're going to keep it, but are you gonna really shoot film over digital?)

Now why doesn't the Nikon web site show that camera when you follow the link for film SLRs?

Looks like a decent camera to me. Any other opinions?

Not sure, but if you want to go with a Nikon camera I would suggest a N75 or N80 because you can use all the new lenses on them, rather than buy an old camera with old lenses then have to upgrade everything all over again. If you go with either of these two the lenses for the D200 and those cameras are perfectly interchangeable.

N75
Nikon USA: N75

N80
Nikon USA: N80

Back