[Feedback] Discussed bomber Tweaks

Polaris

Veteran X
A bunch of us in IRC were just discussing some issues with the bombers and we came up with the following 3 ideas:

1) Restrict the bomber ammo

2) Remove the ability to reapir any vehicle when there is someone in the pilot seat

3) Reduce the panning range of the bomber turrets to allow only 90 degrees of coverage on each side

This is the counter much of the complaining about killer bomber crews using the side turrets, grappled repairers, and unlimited ammo to basically destroy an otherwise good game.

Polaris said:
2) Remove the ability to reapir any vehicle when there is someone in the pilot seat.

That would be pretty counter-intuitive I think. What about making the larger vehicles (bomber & tank) repair very slowly?

I dunno if its counter-intuative. Only a couple vehicles have more than one seat and usually its the driver doing the repairing. also, a simple warning if the repair attempt is denied goes a long way. No different than "you can pilot this vehicle in heavy armor".

poisonspider said:
huh you can repair it whjile in it? ill test this shazbot out...
No, he's talking about people grappled to the bomber, repairing it faster than opponents can damage it.

Bah.
An assault ship is dead if you have a grappler.
Grapple on to it, shoot the pilot, he dies, take the ship for yourself :)
I've done it several times, and every single time I managed to be a major pain in the ass to the enemy team :D

The sentry turrets can absolutely rape aircraft (all vehicles really, though the tank can cause some problems...), at ranges they can't deal with. The AA turrets can do some serious damage as well. Burner turret's range is too limited to be effective against aircraft.

As far as "offensive" use of aircraft goes, if you have someone good at the stick in the right turret or turrets, the bomber pilot will be lucky to get a kill at all.

"Defensive" use though, you'll need someone dedicated (and good with the rocket pod) taking out aircraft.

Though I will admit, I haven't seen anyone grappled to the bottom of the assault ship repairing it while I reamed it with the Sentry Turret.

Personally I think the AA turret needs a bit of an increase in range or RoF... not much mind you, but enough that the vehicle carried versions are outclassed slightly against the stationary guns.

PyroTeknik said:
Bah.
An assault ship is dead if you have a grappler.
Grapple on to it, shoot the pilot, he dies, take the ship for yourself :)
I've done it several times, and every single time I managed to be a major pain in the ass to the enemy team :D
There were no suggestions that limited the bombers impact or ability to defend itself. the suggestions only limited the length of time it can stay in the air when there is a top notch crew on board. Right now with 3 repairing heavies grappled to it and 2 gunners many people have stated that its basically invincible. these suggestions were discussed as ways o restrict that specific event. Yes it CAN be done (killing a bomber) but in common pubs a good crew can destory a game using the thing.

I continue to see no vehicles "owning" a map. None of these vehicles last for Sh*&# in their current state on the servers I have been on. Now maybe that means the defenders are better (although I have never seen anyone grapple a bomber and take it over that way) or maybe that means the pilots are no good. I am guessing the pilots are average and that D is good (for the sake of the discussion). Given that I don't think any more limitations to the vehicles should be made. Hell my 2 cents worth is to make them spawn more frequently as it is....

I would rather have the bomber act much like the one in Tribes 2. I mean in the sense that it can't just hover over a base and it can drop bombs more rapidly. Makes more sense to make big bombing 'runs' as opposed to floating over the base and bombing it until a fighter mops the floor with you.

Grapple on to it, shoot the pilot, he dies, take the ship for yourself
I've done it several times

No you haven't.

The pilot is in a shielded cockpit. Can't be damaged while he's in there. Guess they took a few lessons from the World Trade Centre rammings :)

Polaris said:
There were no suggestions that limited the bombers impact or ability to defend itself. the suggestions only limited the length of time it can stay in the air when there is a top notch crew on board. Right now with 3 repairing heavies grappled to it and 2 gunners many people have stated that its basically invincible. these suggestions were discussed as ways o restrict that specific event. Yes it CAN be done (killing a bomber) but in common pubs a good crew can destory a game using the thing.

if you have 2 people repairing, 2 on guns, 1 driving, the other team better cap out the map or rape the other teams base, I dont see how this bomber crew could be that successful. If you allow a team of 5 to do this to you all map, maybe you should try a new game.

Back