[FEATURE REQUEST] Post Bookmarks

Plasma

Veteran X
Thought this feature would really rock for mega-threads like those in the HoF.

You have important posts that people come by which give context to the overall story in a massive thread.

But its tiresome reading past sometimes 30+ pages to find the important posts that are useful to the story context without having to go through each page sifting through the responses and "updates?" messages etc.

I'm thinking a feature where the original poster (or a majority of peoples votes?) can tag a post in a thread as being important, and then as a thread reader you can jump between these posts like bookmarks in a book through some snazzy side-bar for a HoF / large thread.

Thoughts?

Sounds great Plasma :)

You should be a internet webtool designer. You're almost qualified now, cos ur a tool lolz. <3

My thoughts:

If the OP wanted to mark specific posts as important in their threads, they could just edit in links to their first post - this is quite common on other forums when there are updates. All you have to do is hover over the post number next to the timestamp and you'll get a direct link to a post. The fact that people don't do this often doesn't lead me to believe they would utilize the same functionality in a different package.

Votes - or any other system reliant on participation - do not have a track record of working here. People barely used THREAD ranking systems, I can't imagine TW people voting on individual posts in the thread.

I've noted it before: if someone wanted to bookmark useful threads in the HoF, I would accept submissions of post links and add them to the OP. I don't think it's been utilized yet. I let Gigafool moderate the forum for a little while to clean up some threads and add some links, but I don't think he was looking to do that job permanently.

Go ahead and develop that... let us know when its done.

:rolleyes:

You should be a internet webtool designer. You're almost qualified now, cos ur a tool lolz. <3
Do I know you?

Rayn, yeah I've seen some threads do that which is great - I was mainly thinking about the fast moving threads that sometimes appear (eg, 'I found a TW member IRL') where some people may just click a simple button to tag a post as important.

I'd imagine that would get more use over thread rating systems (Which I never bother with too) - I'd be inclined to read a post and click a button to mark it as important though. Not sure how long I would keep that up though : )

Was just a thought, I agree that it may not get that much use to be worth developing.

Back