Faster than Light Neutrinos Explained Away?

dnrtherefore.png

That article offers very little real explanation of why they think the original measurement is false (not science-y enough).

msnbc not write good science, just like I not write good english.

The last lecture in my subatomic physics class was a general discussion of this topic. There are plenty of things that could have went wrong with their initial measurement. I for one go with the use of GPS being the likely gremlin. If you don't have the distance measured extremely precisely, then your velocity won't be very good either. GPS are generally good at measuring latitude/longitude, but not as good at altitude differences and I would assume that the locations that shot the neutrino's between do not have the exact same altitude.

And the little issue of the fact that is neutrino's did travel > c, it would mean so many previous studies were wrong (mainly speaking to supernova detection via neutrinos).

That article offers very little real explanation of why they think the original measurement is false (not science-y enough).

The last lecture in my subatomic physics class was a general discussion of this topic. There are plenty of things that could have went wrong with their initial measurement. I for one go with the use of GPS being the likely gremlin. If you don't have the distance measured extremely precisely, then your velocity won't be very good either. GPS are generally good at measuring latitude/longitude, but not as good at altitude differences and I would assume that the locations that shot the neutrino's between do not have the exact same altitude.

And the little issue of the fact that is neutrino's did travel > c, it would mean so many previous studies were wrong (mainly speaking to supernova detection via neutrinos).
nerd

Those things traveled hundreds of miles through rock, right? With the various materials involved, how does one figure out the propagation speed?

Those things traveled hundreds of miles through rock, right? With the various materials involved, how does one figure out the propagation speed?

They go thru alot more than that...

If you had a block of lead a light year long it would still let most of the neutrinos through.

If you have enough points and you correct it against multiple local base stations over a long enough period of time, you should be able to narrow the Z axis down to a very precise measurement using sub centimeter GPS.

Back