Cybrex

Veteran X
System is:

ABIT AV8- 3rd Eye MB
AMD 3500+
GeForce 6800
Onboard sound
Windows XP SP2 (legit copy)

Lately, over the past day or two, I've been having some really odd problems. When I'm surfing the web (in Firefox), text on the page will just disappear. It's a little hard to describe. When viewing the forums, for example, some of the lines just turn invisible (sometimes there is still an underline where the link is, and the link is still clickable). Error messages pop up, with the same invisible text. In Azureus, I sometimes got a disk write error which complains about insufficient memory or something like that. Peerguardian was also throwing exceptions and whatnot, with invisible text. When I was playing EVE Online, I was getting terrible FPS, to the point that is was unplayable. Usually it runs flawlessly. That was yesterday.

Today, while playing EVE, I got an error box that said explorer.exe crashed. After I quit EVE (it was still playing fine), I had no desktop. No right click, nothing. I tried ctrl-alt-delete and got an error message saying taskmanager.exe couldn't be started.

I haven't done anything new over the past couple of days besides install Daemon Tools 4.03. I've scanned for viruses using both NOD32 and TrendMicro's online scanner. I also defragged today, to no avail.

Any options here besides reformat? I'd really like to avoid that route.

Thanks

My bro was having somewhat similar issues, albeit on a much older system. The culprit turned out to be DTools: uninstall all virtual drives (don't just unmount the images), reboot and see if the problem persists. My bro's comp does wacky shit like that when Windows boots with any virtual drives present.

prime95 to check the cpu's stability
memtest86 to check the memory
your manufacturer's hd software to check your hd
spybot s&d and lavasoft adaware for spyware

Back