Excruciantingly Painful Win2K Problem

ceand

Contributor
Veteran XX
First, I have NO idea what initially caused it. I was out of town, and, of course, noone remembers the last time they saw this particular box boot.

Win2k SP4 is stuck in a reboot loop. I managed to get a millisecond of the bsod after swapping vid cards.

Stop 0x0000001e (0xC0000005, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
KMODE_Exception_Not_Handled.

From what I can tell, its a generic access violation, listing NOTHING as causing it.

So far:
Swapped vid.
Swapped HDD.
Lost more hair.

ANYTHING short of a format would be ++.

Nope.

Using UBCD4W I am able to access anything on the drive to troubleshoot. It started the loop the 19th, so I am looking at anything that changed then.

UBCD4W also allows for spyware and virus removal, I ran everything it has, to no avail.

Dunno man. Seen it once and it wasn't a critical machine, so it got formatted figuring it'd be quicker than troubleshooting.

Is the not formatting just because it's a pain, or do you need stuff that's on there? If the latter, grab a live distro like knoppix, 'buntu, or sabayon and move your files somewhere, then format at your leisure?

looks like your os kernel is upset. most likely a either ram, cpu, or chipset failure. I would test my psu voltages, hsf operation (thermal dynamics), and then memtest it.

Thermals came out ok. Testing ram/cpu at the moment.

And formatting is not an option due to it being my wifes computer, and there will be no satisfying her that everything is backed up.

Even if he removes it he'll probably have to purge the sfc cache and do a scan and replace key system files.

We'll see how long it takes him to either figure it out or give up and reload the machine.

I seem to recall there being something in the F8 menu that tells Windows not to automatically reboot after a BSOD on boot (I think they call it debug mode). If you can find out what module that Stop 1e error is happening on, you can probably boot from the Windows CD and fire up the recovery console and just replace that file from the CD.

If the faulting module turns out to be win32k.sys, you might want to take a look at Error Message: STOP 0x00000001e KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED in Win32k.sys.

Ok, here's what I'm trying now:

New hdd, clean install of Win2K.

Now, is there a nice easy method to transfer files and settings over?

Its a sick trick but I have heard of people adding shutdown to the startup, its something not everyone would look for.

Probably not your problem though maybe something getting hot?

Last edited:
Windows 2000 doesn't play nice with many rootkits, since they alter hooks called by the OS they can make for some rather interesting crashes. They can hide themselves as registry entries and files that the OS is blind to, hence why 99% of the time your average AV/AS software won't see them - and for the most part they have to be analyzed by a person because there's too many unknowns when they're involved.

Back