excel help

Phrozen

Veteran XX
I have a list of names and addresses that is in excess of 30,000 names and I need to remove about 5000 of them that are listed in a seperate csv file. Is there a quick and easy way to go down this list for instance find the value in cell A1 in the other document and replace, then find A2 and replace, and so on?

I've tried google, but I don't really know what to search for. Even if you know a term or two to help with finding how to script something to do this it will be helpful.

Help me TW, you're my only hope.

yeah youre going to need some form of a vlookup to determine dupes from set a that exist in set b

if you know anything about access, your better / quicker bet would be to link both sheets as tables into access, then do a left outer join of the main set containing the values you want removed from the main, on whatever value exists in both sets.

do it with mysql
do you really have a 30000 name database in excel?
this is a troll

simplest way:

current names col a, add col b, names needed removed col c:

in d1: =if(iserror(vlookup(a1,b:b,false),"",a1)

copy formula to end, copy paste special values, sort or filter out blanks in col d.

ISERR Value refers to any error value except #N/A.
ISERROR Value refers to any error value (#N/A, #VALUE!, #REF!, #DIV/0!, #NUM!, #NAME?, or #NULL!).
ISNA Value refers to the #N/A (value not available) error value.

do a vlookup on the other file

let's say your names are in column A. in an empty column:

=VLOOKUP($A1,$other page range of data$locked,1,0)

now drag it all the way down

sort by your new column. if it errors out, it's not there. the rows that didn't error out should be lumped together. delete them.

Back