[Europe Politics] You should vote for Obama...

ferret

Veteran XX
So, I'm in Europe for a few weeks, and during every conversation I've had with a local they bring up US politics. Every time they mention that I should 'vote for Obama'. One even said it would be better for his country (Austria), and several told me 'If you vote for Obama we would like the U.S. more'.

Okay...

Now its not my fault that European TV shoves the US campaign in their face 24/7, and its not my fault our agenda affects others regions more drastically than their own. In fact, after being here awhile I can see how people (see: orbital123) do not care for us. Our culture, politics, and media is shoved in their face 24/7 and it probably gets very old. Its not our (Americans) fault, we're isolationists by heart, and don't really concerns ourselves outside our 'bubble'.

I personally (still undecided) am not going to vote for someone because country B will like us more. Ultimately, whether or not some foreigners like what our country does is not on the top of my list.

Cliffs: American staying in Europe, every Euro tells me 'vote Obama'. We will like you more. =\

McCain would have to molest little boys to get me to vote for Obama. Even then, I would probably abstain.

Gotta say here in Italy it's all about Obama as the saviour of the world and McCain being a children-eater.

After all this I'd vote McCain. I like his chips.

Its not us (Americans) who profit, maybe the ones at top, but not the general population.

Well, yeah, that's been a huge problem ever since we started world war three, the money there is to be made rebuilding the countries we destroyed is going to a very well connected network of private interests.

You talk to the average american on the street and they could care less about Global issues. Most would rather put the money into domestic investments than countries we'll never see or understand.

good thing our representatives ignore such silly sentiments

I live in Scandinavia and while we do follow the American election with some interest it's like you say mostly because the US gets shoved into our faces all the time. American movies, American celebrities, American politics. I don't think we mind much to be honest. It's pretty natural, the US is where the money(ahem) and power is at. To some degree, China and Russia get the same treatment. Quite ironic that our own European Union that has the most impact on our daily lives get the least attention.

Still, I guess it depends on who you meet. There's really a world of difference between France and Sweden, or Germany and Greece.

Back