Electric cars

Thresh

Contributor
Veteran XX
I’m currently car shopping. What are you electric car nerds driving?

I got a ride in a Lucid Air and it was very comfortable and nice but I don’t like the overall look of the exterior of the car.

https://lucidmotors.com/air

Obviously a Tesla is what everyone wants but I’ve not heard lots of good things about the build quality. I’ve ridden in an S and a Y and would consider the Y - but I really would want the S Plaid.

The last one I’ve been looking at is the Taycan Turbo S.

https://www.porsche.com/usa/models/taycan/all-models/

My budget is pretty much anything under 250k.

I went from Toyota Prius about 10 years ago and loved getting 70 mph on the highway. It had tons of problems tho.

Then I had a Tesla model S which had 5 or six product recalls and of course software recalls. Then I leased a Model S, then Model X. They're improving but not nearly fast enough.

*haven't paid for gas since 2016

I like the roominess of the Y, we have two kids, but I will primarily drive this car to and from the airport which is about 150 miles from my house.

I feel like Tesla wins for the charging network but I’ve heard it will be compatible with any car soon.

i wouldn't spend six digits on an EV, you'll take a bath on resale. unless you need 1000 horsepower...

if you do go Taycan, they just announced the new ones with better range, so the old ones will tank in value. love the wagon myself.

we have a three row Y for a family beater, and i charge at work for free. tesla UI is fantastic, and the charging network is too. its a 2023 with zero build quality issues. can fit a carry on suitcase in the front trunk and under the rear floor. lots of space

other companies will adopt the tesla adapter in 2025 (?) - i wouldn't buy a non tesla until then. it isn't clear if all superchargers will be available to non-tesla cars though, you might want to research.

I got a Lightning in January. I love the space and cargo room. The software is pretty buggy, so if you're looking for a modern car experience this isn't it. But for me it was mostly about getting the most room. It's also really smooth for a truck, you'll get that in any EV; no jerkiness when gears change or harsh stops. It just glides into stop and go.

why electric

I drive 300 miles round trip to work about 3-4 times per month. Feel like electric is the right choice for doing that trip. I get free charging at work and I would mostly charge at home or work.

300 round trip (plus parking for days which can drain a couple %) puts most EVs right at the limit, or many over the limit if you're doing freeway speeds there and back, or its cold out

you would have to charge on the way home which would be annoying

maybe ones with 400 range would work but that means no 3/Y

Yes it would charge while I’m at work for 3-4 days

Or there are multiple chargers on my route. The Porsche says it can do 200 miles in under 20 minutes but I’m not sure the network has a fast charger in my area.

I have never gone far enough to use all the battery. I probably never went below 70%

Since I'm only living in the US about 6 months a year I wanna get a 6 month lease but the monthly is almost double a 2 year lease

When you get to cruise around in a 6 litre Aston Martin V12, every electric car so far falls into the "fuck that shit" category.

If you can afford to drop 250k on a car, why would you be a tightass about the price of gas? Does not compute. Repairs, insurance and depreciation will make the cost of gas a miniscule insignificance.

more about the amount of time I spend every month filling up on gas, not the price.

Charging twice as much for cars with 1/3 of the lifespan. I'm surprised it took capitalists this long.

I timed myself at the gas station and its about 12% as long as taking a good dump so now i just do it and complain about the price

Tell me you've never driven a V12 Aston etc....

ICE are complex engineering marvels. But simpler is just better. The motor powers the wheels; no pistons no crankshaft, no transmission, no driveshaft, no exhaust system. Just power to the axle. Instant torque is way more useful than theoretically being able to go 150mph.

Back