DVI problem with my roommate's computer

Fox McCloud

Veteran XX
Monday, my roommate's monitor suddenly stopped displaying anything. Trying to figure out what the problem was, we used my computer to test to see if his graphics card on his Dell was no longer working or if it was his monitor that was faulty. My system has both DVI (which is what his monitor had been running under) and VGA (which is what my monitor is), so we hooked it up. It showed exactly what my monitor showed during boot up, and then had no problems running as a second monitor on the system. So we knew it wasn't the monitor since it was displaying everything just fine. Then we tried my VGA monitor on his system, and it booted up and worked fine. So we figured something had happened to the DVI on his graphics card. Dell seemed to agree and shipped him a new graphics card today, and after putting it in, it still isn't working. However, after trying his monitor on my system again, it's no longer displaying anything or even being recognized in the device manager.

Am I overlooking the obvious and this as simple as the cable going faulty? His monitor worked fine on my system Monday, and his monitor couldn't have affected my graphics card any.

If for some reason you need his system specs, they are (to the best of my recollection):
P4 2.6 GHz
512 MB RAM
GeForce FX 5200
Windows XP Pro
Dell 15" Flat Panel

Well we were just testing it on Monday to see if it was getting a signal to display (to see if it was his graphics card) and mine was outputting fine and it was displaying correctly. Now it won't show anything at all on either computer, but it worked on mine two days ago when it wouldn't on his.

And of course Dell will replace whatever is wrong, but we're trying to figure out what the problem is so we don't have to take two hours of "Did you check all the cords? Is the power turned on?"

Back