DVD ripping question

JACKASS!

Veteran X
I just got a new DVD burner, now I have to decide which computer I'm gonna put it in. I have my comp I use just for school stuff are no open bays (It's a desktop case) so my only 2 options are my main Comp (1.6 gig P4 @ 2.4 gigs) and the Comp I just use for watching TV (1.4 gig T-bird)

So what I really need to know is, can I put this in my TV box and still be able to watch TV while ripping a dvd? This is the comp I'd rather put it in so I can still game while it's ripping and so I could make DVD's of shows I might capture, but the TV is always on if I'm in there.

So will it work? I don't think watching TV uses that much in resources, but could it mess up the copy?

it'll be fine. slightly slower when you start doing the encoding, but hey, who cares if it's a dedicated box for doing 'crap' right? :)

aScotiA said:
can't do without TV for 20 minutes? that's sad

Actually I think it takes more than 20 minutes to rip one in full quality, and second I never said I couldn't, I was just wondering if it would still work OK.....

So really, your need to make that comment here is the sad thing in this thread.

Thanx for the info invar, not that I would do it all the time, I was just wondering if it could be done.

JACKASS! said:
Actually I think it takes more than 20 minutes to rip one in full quality, and second I never said I couldn't, I was just wondering if it would still work OK.....
to rip the disc, it depends on your cpu (decrypting it) and the drive (reading it) but that only dumps the dvd on your drive in VOB format. you still have to encode it. and the encoding takes quite a long time.

just ripping it without encoding used to take me about 30 minutes for a 2 hour long movie, and then encoding took about 10-12 hours for both passes. this was on my tbird 1ghz and 5x dvdrom. so obviously things will be better for you, and you probably won't be encoding the same way i did.

so the real question is....can I burn a svcd to dvd with a DVD-RAM...eys, I says RAM...because its a DVD RAM....

Thanx again :D invar and yeah, I'll want to basically copy from one DVD to another, (yes I also have a DVD drive) I can find the How-to's for this all over and I think I can manage that (2 step process right?), in some cases I might want to make a DIVX , but mostly I just wanted to know about wether or not quality would be screwed if I watched TV at the same time.

Back