Dumpster Diving

Cringe said:
Most people I hear about that go dumpster diving aren't looking for food, cash, equipment, etc but are there so they can steal identities, get some credit cards, and ruin people's lives...

NEW YORK (Nov. 26) - Three men have been charged with allegedly running a high-tech scheme to steal credit information from thousands of victims, a crime authorities said represented ``every American's worst financial nightmare multiplied tens of thousands of times.''

Losses from the scam were put at $2.7 million and could grow as more victims are identified, U.S. Attorney James B. Comey said Monday. He warned consumers to check their accounts for signs of tampering.

Some victims had their bank accounts drained, addresses changed, lines of credit opened and new credit cards issued without approval. ``A lot of people were ruined financially and their credit was ruined,'' Comey said.

Comey said credit information for some 30,000 people was stolen and authorities are trying to determine how many of those individuals were victimized.

``With a few keystrokes, these men essentially picked the pockets of tens of thousands of Americans and, in the process, took their identities, stole their money and swiped their security,'' Comey said.

Authorities said the scheme began about three years ago when Philip Cummings, a help-desk worker at Teledata Communications, sold passwords and codes for downloading consumer credit reports to an unidentified person. Teledata, a software company, provides banks with computerized access to credit information databases.

Cummings was allegedly paid roughly $30 for each report, and the information was then passed on to at least 20 other people, who set out to make money from the stolen information, prosecutors said.

``The potential windfall was probably far greater than the content of a bank vault, and they didn't even need a getaway car. All they needed was a phone and a computer, or so they thought,'' said FBI Assistant Director Kevin P. Donovan.

More than 15,000 credit reports were stolen from Experian, a credit history bureau, using passwords belonging to Ford Motor Credit Corp., officials said.

They said thousands of other credit reports were stolen from companies such as Washington Mutual Finance Co. in Crossville, Tenn.; Dollar Bank in Cleveland; Sarah Bush Lincoln Health Center in Illinois; the Personal Finance Co. in Frankfort, Ind.; the Medical Bureau in Clearwater, Fla.; Vintage Apartments in Houston; and Community Bank of Chaska in Chaska, Minn.

Victims have reported losing money from their bank accounts, seeing their credit cards hit with unauthorized charges, and having their identities assumed by strangers.

Comey said one sobbing victim telephoned prosecutors to say someone stole her identity, opened a $35,000 line of credit and cashed a check for $34,000.

``So that's now on her back, that $34,000,'' he said. ``The people that take the hit ultimately will be all of us, although in the short term it will be the companies that paid on the credit cards, the banks that lent them money.''

Comey urged consumers to pay closer attention to their financial statements and credit histories and learn how to protect themselves through the Federal Trade Commission's Web site.

Comey said there was no reason to suspect a terrorism connection, with simple greed the apparent motive. He said prosecutors were sending letters to the more than 30,000 victims, offering help.

He said the investigation was still in its early stages, though prosecutors had ``found the guys who opened the fire hydrant of fraud.''

Cummings, 33, of Cartersville, Ga., was released on $500,000 bond after an appearance in Manhattan federal court Monday at which he did not speak. His lawyer declined to comment on the charges. If convicted, Cummings could get up to 30 years in prison for wire fraud and millions in fines.

In addition to Cummings, the FBI also charged Linus Baptiste and Hakeem Mohammed in the fraud.

Baptiste allegedly downloaded hundreds of credit reports with Cummings' access passwords. Baptiste's lawyer declined to comment on the case. Mohammed has pleaded guilty to mail fraud for making changes to individual credit accounts.

In a company statement, Teledata officials said they had cooperated with the probe over the past eight months and were ``pleased to learn that it has apparently come to a successful conclusion.''

11/26/02 09:49 EST

Identity theft worrying is for 40+ year old people who are afraid people are going to hack into their computers and steal all the important passwords to AOL. A person who is going to be able to exploit identity theft wouldn't need to rummage through your garbage to get to it.

Yeah, Stick, that's the case I was talking about. Nothing you can do to prevent that sorta shit, just trust Ebay.

What the fuck do you think they did before millions of people were on the net. They dove into dumpsters and grabbed old credit card receipts and names/addresses/etc. People still do it today, not as much as identity theft since you can do all that shit high-tech now, but you still read about people going in and grabbing credit card receipts with people's name and addresses on them, using that info to order something online and getting it shipped to a different address.

And it's not for 40+ and it's not for AOL users. You are one stupid mother fucker.

Xapz said:
Identity theft worrying is for 40+ year old people who are afraid people are going to hack into their computers and steal all the important passwords to AOL. A person who is going to be able to exploit identity theft wouldn't need to rummage through your garbage to get to it.

Cringe said:
Doesn't exist? What world you live on nigga. Happens all the time, that's why I gotz my little shredder at home to cut up the 10000000 credit card apps I get in the mail. Half of them are pre-filled in, you find one in the dumpster, you can probably get a nice credit card off of it, use it for a while, and be done.

My dad got his SSN stolen by some guy at his office. He knew exactly who it was (had documents sent to him by doctors and govt. agencies for services the other guy got), even had an adress on the guy. Took all the shit to the cops immidiately and it still took him 7 years to get the whole thing squared away, all the bills the other guy ran up paid off, and his name somewhat cleared. Be real carefull with all your stuff, always cut up anything that has your name on it before you throw it away.

We better start putting metal bars on our windows and doors so people don't break into our houses and steal credit card statements.

Xapz said:
Greensboro NC and/or Chapel Hill NC

...another Triber from NC eh. Stop by #ncgamers some time, more the mereier (sp?).

Why are you dumpster diving? No money for xmas, thanksgiving or whatever?..I'm sure myself or anyone else here in NC could help, if thats the case.

you should just leave now

Xapz said:
We better start putting metal bars on our windows and doors so people don't break into our houses and steal credit card statements.

Xapz said:

Yah cuz you know, they can't just look in your trash for your bank statement, or use that pre-approved credit card you threw away :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, and doors and locks on all our cubicles at work. And have unbreakable glass in our cars. And not carry wallets on us in case we get jumped. and we better not have any open windows when we look at our credit card statements either in case someone's looking in to see what our name is.

Actually, i've just always been interested in dumpster diving. No money shortage in my life but I just think it would be fun to do sometime.

I check my card activity pretty much daily, same with checking.

I get a 3 bureau credit report every Q.

Anything I throw out with any info on it I tear up into small pieces.

It would be pretty hard for anyone to rip me off.

Back