Dual Monitor info & suggestions

Risuli

Veteran XX
Thinking of spending part of my tax refund on a dual monitor set up. I currently have a 28" monitor but was wondering about the benefits of using dual monitors, so I thought I'd ask the forum's input.

If you use a dual monitor set up:

1. What do you find the positives AND negatives?
2. How difficult is it to set up?
3. What software (games, word processing, browsing) do you find work/are improved in this mode?
4. Any suggestions on the current, best monitors to use in dual mode?
5. Any other important factors I'm missing?

Thx!

Two is good, so six must be better.

495513-swordfish.jpg

Dual monitors is fucking amazing.

2. just plug it in?
3. i mostly have a Chrome tab open streaming some video.

Thinking of spending part of my tax refund on a dual monitor set up. I currently have a 28" monitor but was wondering about the benefits of using dual monitors, so I thought I'd ask the forum's input.

If you use a dual monitor set up:

1. What do you find the positives AND negatives?
2. How difficult is it to set up?
3. What software (games, word processing, browsing) do you find work/are improved in this mode?
4. Any suggestions on the current, best monitors to use in dual mode?
5. Any other important factors I'm missing?

Thx!

Positives: more efficient doing a lot of different kinds of work, makes keeping track of a lot of things easy when you are multitasking

Negatives: Takes up more desk space. Not sure if its that applicable, but I get pissed when I have to use a single monitor (I use 3 at home) pretty much anywhere because I'm used to being able to throw stuff to the side and reference things quickly...\

Its easy to set up. Dual, just plug in the monitors into a compatible video cardm right click the desktop, properties, and have them sit side to side.

Work is easier when you need to do any type of research or manipulate pretty much anything...

Suggestion: get Ultramon, it is a program to manage multiple monitor setups. Really really nifty.

At work, I've got a 32" HDTV I use as my main display and a 23" monitor for my other display.

I usually just use the 23" for tossing things off to the side that I don't need at the time but want to quickly scope out.

But when I come home, I like my plain and simple 1 monitor.

Two eats trombone.

I work off of two monitors and a laptop, but at home I usually just have one 24".

I do a fair amount of spreadsheeting and webinars etc so having one screen ready to rock with my upcoming task and one with useful shit helps save a tonne of time.

You think you can get the same accomplished with Alt-Tab, but really, two monitors is much better.

I couldn't tell you what the fps/performance loss is though :s

pshaw double monitors are so last year

its all about triples

i've got 23-24-23 for a grand total of 70 inches of monitor goodness :)

i can't see how some of you fuckers use odd sized monitors.

i've got 2x23" dell U2311H and have the perfect number of pixels. i also don't get why the fuck you'd use a 32" tv to display the same number of pixels as these monitors... seems dumb

Pros: It's amazing for multitasking. The ability to put things off to the side for reference saves a lot of time. I use it for music production as well and it makes it easier having the DAW on one screen and a VST plugin or whatever else on the other.

Cons: Desk space and lots of light... but it's worth it.

edit: it's beyond easy

Last edited:
I started using two monitors at work years ago and after about a week I bought a second for home... Can't live without at least two

190087_10150160644551014_594701013_8773491_967531_n.jpg

this is my setup at the moment and i'm so fucking loving it.. never gonna go back to one that's for sure..

if you have a 28" monitor.. see if you can get two smaller ones to put aside it.. i've got a 24" monitor in the middle and two 20" monitors next to it but even though they differ a bit in size it doesn't matter at all..

basically you can have a shitload of games run in multi screen mode using this plugin thingie which of course i forgot the name of (because it didn't work for me haha..)

believe me..

this is how you wanna roll :-D

Because of the gap between the screens it won't work well for anything other than strategy games, or some sims that let you put different things on the secondary screen.

Definitely a must-have for work. Reference material on one screen, project on the other.

I haven't tried any games that actually use both monitors. When I'm gaming the 2nd monitor is just useful for having chat stuff open so I don't have to alt-tab just to read what someone sent me

dual is a must. i dont know why all office type jobs dont get dual monitors. for referencing one thing while working on another it can be a huge productivity increase. for the price of about 1 day of wages you can make the persons job way easier and efficient

no reason not to other than desk space. i might even look into triple monitors because sometimes I'll want 2 monitors for referencing stuff, then it'd be nice to have video of some sort on the 3rd.

somebody else mentioned it, but ultramon is awesome. gives your 2nd monitor its own taskbar and gives each window an extremely handy "move to other monitor" button.

yep...using AT LEAST 2 monitors with Ultramon is the only way to go
I get pissed when I have to do any kind of work now with less than that

Back