[dslr] what's the best entry level option currently?

Vee

Veteran X
i've been wanting, and at the same time avoiding, getting a dslr over the past 6 or so years mainly due to cost, and my ability to make medium range point and shoot cameras take decent enough pics for me having to avoid having to buy a dslr

my most recent camera, which i bought about 3 years ago a canon sd79ois 10mp, is starting to crap out on me, by offering the standard picture noise that the other 4 canon's i've owned have always fallen victim to over enough time

it's time for a new one, and time to bite the bullet on a dslr

i don't fucking want or need hd video recording or whatever else the newest, greatest shit is this month, just a good camera with a standard lens and of course, as low cost as possible

what do you dudes suggest besides gay male ass sex?

Groupon had this on for 25% off this week:

011509a4.png

Reactions: Vee
You haven't even mentioned a price point your looking for. Most entry level dslr cameras are going for 500-700 for Like the Nikon 3100

i did mention my price point

"as low cost as possible"

i'm not cheap and trust me it would be no problem getting carried away with my spending for this, but i'm trying to justify jumping from a new $250 point and shoot that will last me a few years vs. a dslr

I would buy the best nikon or canon you can afford.

It doesn't really matter what.

Just remember. The lens is more important than the camera, and the lighting is more important than the lens, and no one gives a shit about any of that if you're not shooting an interesting subject in an interesting way.

so yea, canon or nikon.

I would buy the best nikon or canon you can afford.

It doesn't really matter what.

Just remember. The lens is more important than the camera, and the lighting is more important than the lens, and no one gives a shit about any of that if you're not shooting an interesting subject in an interesting way.

so yea, canon or nikon.

hipster nonsense.

I would go with a Canon (larger lens range) and the best entry level is the new 600D in my opinion (and its only that).

My understanding of the whole "buying into the camera world" thing is like this.

1: Choose a brand, because this brand will determine the lenses you buy.
2: Buy entry level into this brand, then start saving for a decent lens (and associated accessories).
3: Buy lenses and keep adding them to your entry level body, the body WILL eventually die out, and by this stage you should be a somewhat proficient photographer.
4: Buy a higher quality body to go with all your lenses.
5: Go to step 3 and repeat through to step 5.

Last edited:
The work horse of Canon is the 20D if you want to pick up one used for less. I have one, great camera, does everything you need. Then you buy an "L" lens or you'll always be wondering. They call it "L" disease. Get the 24-70mm "L" as your standard shooter. Then you can look into getting the 70-200mm if you need more zoom.

Surf the Fred Miranda forums, they have a FS/FT section that is policed by the users. If someone scams, they post about it immediately. Many sell used equipment when they upgrade, or sell lenses that are collecting dust. What happens is, people start off with a kit, then want the "L" lens. I sold a kit lens with no problems.

You can also surf DP Review for the new stuff, they also have a forum. I used to surf both forums when I got my 20D.

Last edited:
i've been wanting, and at the same time avoiding, getting a dslr over the past 6 or so years mainly due to cost ...

i don't fucking want or need hd video recording or whatever else the newest, greatest shit is this month, just a good camera with a standard lens and of course, as low cost as possible

1. Just keep avoiding, you'll be glad you did.

b/c

2. No such thing as staying simple, you will become addicted to gear madness and spend a truckload of dough on a bunch of shit you don't really understand or need.

3. If you get a cheap dSLR with a standard lens you will almost certainly be disappointed with the photo quality thus leading back to point 2 and ultimately wishing you had listened to 1.

ps. join us.......join ussssssssss :satan:

NGFM said:
The work horse of Canon is the 20D

:lol: no.

NGFM said:
Then you buy an "L" lens or you'll always be wondering. They call it "L" disease.

L disease is also called FUD. Fear, uncertainty, and doubt. It's a sales trick to sell stupid people things they don't need. Google it.

Back