[DSLR] Nikon 3300 or 5500?

Skibbi9

Contributor
Veteran XX
Looking to get rid of our mirrorless Nikon 1, interface sucks, slow, and get that 5% of shots have focus problems that others have found.

1) I suck at photography and probably won't spend millions of hours learning everything

2) Not that sensitive to price, but don't feel like overpaying for features and camera that I don't need

Reasons for 3300 over the 5500:
About $500 cheaper for much of the same camera
Few more automated/beginner modes

5500:
Better 55-300 glass in the kit than the 55-200
touchscreen and articulating
more control modes (that I won't know how to use)
built in wifi (not an external adapter)
no low pass filter (better detail)

or should I be considering something else entirely?

Got just a 'handmedown' D600 with a few different lenses - great camera.

Beats my old D90 all day long.

Though not as slick as the Sony A7s that it replaced....

I have a 3300 but honestly for the past 5 years I've been just taking my gf1 with a 20mm pancake lens and a 300mm tele. All fit in this tiny bag

Micro 4/3 ftw

hgpe1Rk.jpg

Sry for size. I'm on phone

Last edited:
Wasn't sure what to get and got a canon 70D and no regrets.

Not having a touchscreen would be crazy so don't get the 3300. Easy to share photos with friends, swipe, pinch zoom, etc. And can use it to focus. I'm not a camera guy and the menu system sucked on camers without touchscreen

hmm

my advice

grab a used d7100

the 7200s just came out, like today, so used d7100s are selling refurbd for $650 and just used but clean online for $500-$600. So.. that beats your 5500 price by a few hundred and its a better camera.

Then just get a 35 1.8 and you're done.

ps: I'm selling all my shit here, that 17-50 2.8 would be a massive upgrade to any kit lens

Last edited:
if you're debating between a 3300 and a 5500 you're better off getting a 5300. the upgraded features of going from 3xxx to 5xxx are worth the small jump in cash but there's really very little the 5500 offers over the 5300.

as has been pointed out in the thread if you're not hurting on money and want an even nicer camera get a 7100 (possibly used) and you get a whole lot more features than any of the lower series.

not mentioned thus far, if you're willing to spend some $$$ and getting a higher end camera but only for hobbyist filming look into the sony alpha a7/a7II. it's mirrorless, easy to carry around, takes fantastic photos and is designed to be a still picture/video hybrid.

Last edited:
figure 7100 is more camera than I want, also heard its quite heavy and not fun to take on a hike

Surprised to see so many people with D600s. D600 is my main camera, great piece of kit.

If you're not planning on learning the settings etc on a DSLR i would probably suggest going doing the 4/3 route. Not much point dragging a DSLR around if you're not going to fully utilize it. Hell even something like a compact cannon S95 (or whatever they are up to now) will take great pics. If you are set on a DSLR go the 3300.

Last edited:
I just went through all this myself. I was buying my daughter her first camera. I settled on the 3300 because of the fact that this would be an excellent camera for her to learn on and if it did turn into a passion we could always upgrade later.

I think if this is your first DSLR then that it should be plenty for you to get your feet wet. If this is going to be the last camera you buy for a very long time then maybe you should consider the 5500.

5500 is just not worth it unless you really want a la de da flip out touch screen (which is shit on a dslr)

I just switched to canon for the 7d mk2. I do a lot of sports and it made sense, since nikon doesn't make a pro crop anymore.

Back