DSL Modem only works when plugged into Test Port at Phone Box- Doesn't work on jacks

OtakuMark

Veteran X
My DSL modem only works when it's connected to the Test Port in my phone box for some reason. When I hook the normal phone connector into it, my phones have a dial tone, but my modem does not work on any of my phone jacks but the Test Port.

All of my phones have DSL filters.

My current solution is plugging a filter into the phone box and plugging the modem into the modem side, and the phone into the phone side. This works- but now I have a huge phone cable running through my kitchen to my modem.

This is the kind of problem my phone company would say is an internal home wiring problem since everything works at the Test Port. Is anyone experienced with these systems enough to know what's going on here?

Yes.

It's an internal wiring problem.

You may have a bad ground at the demarc or the internal wiring my be cheap. I just re-wired my grandfather's house because of this same exact problem.

Make sure none of the internal wiring is wrapped around any pipes. Make sure all the wiring is tight at the demarc. Make sure there are no breaks in the cable insulation.

Troubleshooting this sort of thing is a bitch.

Might also be bad (reversed) polarity on your jacks. Take off the wallplate and try flipping the red/green, or blue/white-blue wires around, assuming this is the primary line we are dealing with. Phones will work with bad polarity. Modems, fax machines, ect. tend to have issues.

Back