Dropping Nextel/Sprint, need cell phone advice

{CN}DarthMaul

Veteran X
So ive decided to drop the POS i have with nextel and find another provider.

Ive been reading through threads and have basically seen that verizon has the best service but locks their phones? and that cingular has nice phones but not the best service? trying to get some opinions here..

if you had to pick btw verizon and cingular which would you go with?? and with what phone..

Cingular rocks in the Minneapolis area. You'll need to ask around in your area to find out about coverage. Can't help on a phone though because the one I have was discontinued because everybody else hated it.

Here is what you should do man.

Get Verizon, get whatever service fits you best. Get a Razr v3c, and then flash it with the Alltel software. OR just get Alltel they aren't bad at all, they are who I go through.

But basically you can get Verizon if you want and depending on the phone you get, pretty sure most of the Motorola models but I'll have to check you can flash with the Alltel software. Loading a Verizon razr v3c with Alltel software unlocks everything. (or like I said you could just go the easy route and get an Alltel plan.)

Honestly I don't know why people think Verizon is better then Alltel, when Alltel has licence to use Verizon towers with no roaming. Meh, fuck Verizon just get Alltel and start with an unlocked phone and really good service. Also a nice part about Alltel that I don't know if Verizon does or not, you can change your plan at will. Just call them up and change it, doesn't extend your contract, doesn't charge extra.

I just took a couple options off of our plan we weren't using. Check with Alltel see if they can help you out.

With sprint, $30 will get you 500 minutes, nights and weekends, unlimited pcs-to-pcs, unlimited internet, and a free phone. Then you can get 10% off that or nights and weekends at 7PM. Then $10 off that with dropped call concessions. I pay $25 for all of it after taxes.

My recommendation to you is either get Alltel (which I have and really dig as far as service goes.)

Or if you want some kind of GSM service, go with Tmobile.

I will never go with sprint again. I had nextel and everything was great until they merged/bought out by sprint.. now my service is shit.

I just moved to LA, thats why Im looking for the change and have only seen verizon/cingular. Ill look into tmobile as well then.

{CN}DarthMaul said:
I will never go with sprint again. I had nextel and everything was great until they merged/bought out by sprint.. now my service is shit.

I just moved to LA, thats why Im looking for the change and have only seen verizon/cingular. Ill look into tmobile as well then.

Well then just get Verizon and flash your phone to Alltel.

DwarfVader said:
Get Verizon, get whatever service fits you best. Get a Razr v3c, and then flash it with the Alltel software.

I'm dumb, how do you do this? For verizon specifically.

Have Cingular in NorCal (which is pretty good signal wise ), was thinking about Verizon, until I talked to a guy at work that has it and loses signal most of the way between work and home on a major highway.

Check the different networks reception in your area.

I've never had a major problem with Sprint, except for the fact that they never really offered cool phones, untill recently.

If you must go GSM then go T-mobile. I quit Cingular after 10 years because I could not carry on an extended conversation due to dropped calls after the big switch to GSM. I even gave it a try with two different brands of phones to no avail. I switched to Verizon with a 2000 minute plan and a v3c and have had 1 dropped call in 3 months. Even when in an area I would qualify as the sticks with 0 bars showing I carried on a 70 minute call while moving in my car without a drop and without bad audio either direction. I realize that CDMA and the new EVDO are basically US only I still like the quality of service. I never plan to visit Europe ever and the only problem I see is the lack of coverage currently in Canada. I believe Canada is working on an EVDO system so I have hope. Lastly, I travel a 4 state area (Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, and Kentucky) and the only area I find I lose service so far is the Bluegrass Parkway between Lexington and E-Town in the stone canyons.

brIck said:
I'm dumb, how do you do this? For verizon specifically.

http://wiki.howardforums.com/motoro...c_Tutorial:_Flashing_to_Alltel_User_Interface

*EDIT:*
Flashing the v3c firmware should not to be taken lightly. As with any decision there are numerous pros and cons towards flashing.

-Pros

*Faster phone reaction (with the Verizon flash, the phone has a delayed response from button pushes)
*Bluetooth Object Exchange (transfer contacts/pictures/ringtones to and from computer to phone over bluetooth)
*Bluetooth Object Push (transfer contacts/pictures/ringtones to another phone over bluetooth)
*Longer battery life (the Verizon UI uses too much power, even longer battery life if you disable EVDO)
*Low battery beep is silent in vib and silence modes
*Phone can be charged on Apple Mac computers
*Motorola UI (No more red bars)
*Menu items can be reordered
*Ability to skin (meaning changing the colors, pictures, etc etc)
*Customizable home buttons (four arrows +2 soft keys and smart key)
*"Vibrate then ring" profile without seem edits
*Much better mp3 player (playlists, fastforward, pause, play with lid closed)
*Camera has more options
*MPT all options work and are enabled. (mms, calender, sync, phone book)
*MPT internet connection (connects at 14.4, 1x, EVDO speeds)
*Added "Battery Meter" display under "phone status" menu gives battery life on a scale of 1-6
*Phone status bar no longer appears at bottom of phone on outside LCD (no covering up of time)
*Text messages: can be scrolled thru from one message to next (no exiting message to read next in line)
*Voice dialing does not ask to choose from "Mobile" or "Mobile 1" (a problem on the Verizon firmware)

-Cons

*Voided warranty (if Verizon were to somehow find out... doubtful if you're good )
*Possible damage if you screw up
*No PRL updates over *228 (will disable data services on the phone)
*buggy interface (mostly fixable but still some bugs numerous seem edits required to get EMS working easily.)
*Search Function in phone book only jumps or finds, (verizon UI combined the 2 together)
*No fullscreen picture mode (pictures only take up about 2/3rds of screen)
*No picture editing (crop, resize, draw)
*No Fun frames
*Pictures taken w/camera don't fit screen well (stretch pixelates them some)
*No "World Clock"
*No "Note pad" wait, notepad is there, under recent calls->notepad
*"Missed Calls" menu no longer there, all calls lumped together under "Received Calls"
*GIN / Mobile web broken (fixable via wiki instructions)
*GIN icons gone (fixable via the wiki instructions)
*Text messages: inbox and outbox limited in size (says low on memory at around 50 to 60 messages, recent seem edit allows 100+messages)
*Text messages: when "reply" to other verizon customers they defalut to "delivery confirmation" "yes" (seems to only be on some phones no clear fix for it yet)
*Font Size is bigger than Verizon GUI although this isn't necessarily a problem
*Double Date appears on lcd (Alltel 03 firmware only)
*Reported loss of bluetooth connection to hands free device (Alltel 03 firmware only)
*Moble web times out upon initial access (Alltel 03 firmware only)

Some things that can be accomplished without completley re-flashing

Outside lcd (applys to all firmwares via a seem edit)
Edit "Verizon wireless" from inside and outside (applys to all firmwares via a seem edit)
Reenable bluetooth object exchange (applys to verizon 03 firmware via a seem edit)
Free WAP (all firm wares). VZW .02 firmware has basic OBEX file transfer support (no PUSH).
"Vibrate THEN' Ring" enabled (applys to verizon firmware via a seem edit) **no vibrate AND ring function that I know of yet**
Enable "Call guard" (applys to all firmwares via a seem edit)
Enable various built in ringtones (all firmwares via a seem edit)

Or... If you have Alltel in your area you could just get rid of the shitty Verizon all together. Part of the reason Verizon service is so good is the # of towers they have across the country. Alltel just signed a contract with Verizon like a month and a half ago that allows them to use Verizon towers with no roaming charges.

Last edited:
Ronnie Dobbs said:
yea making it so you can never update your prl is real smart

You know how many people know how to update their PRL?

Or how many people have a phone through the length of their contract without updating their PRL?

So you do it before you flash your phone, most people don't even know what their PRL list is.

more people know about it than you might think

that coupled w/ the huge list of other cons make it pretty stupid.

also the hardware is complete trash, like all motorolas.

if you really want a phone w/ open bluetooth etc for verizon get a nokia 6256 at cicuit city or best buy

Back