Doom 3 - Nightmare Difficulty... insane.

Vampire

Veteran XV
Be interesting to see if anybody here ever beats this game on Nightmare Difficulty, without cheating of course.

I beat the game this morning (very cool ending), and thought I'd take Nightmare difficulty for a spin.

Monsters seem to take the same amount of damage to kill, but they do a significantly higher amount of damage in return.

There are 3 major changes.

1) Your health is constantly dropping. You lose 5 health roughly every 5 seconds until you reach 25 health. So while you can always heal it back.. realistically its not worth bothering.

2) Monsters do significantly more damage, as far as I can tell. Ironically I actually died to the scientist you go to find. I wasn't paying attention and after he zombified he turned around and tapped me for 40 damage. Dead. Shotgun marine zombies do 40+

3)
Spoiler

Has anybody else played this on Nightmare yet? Whether by beating it already or unlocking it through config files?

Cliff Notes for the lazy:

- Nightmare Difficulty is nearly impossible.

I start playing tonight, thanks to EBs wonderful pre-order.

What I'm waiting to see, is the fastest time on Marine (default), like the HL in 1 hour dude. You'd have to dissect every level, mapping out what you need, and what monsters you really have to kill to continue. It would be funny to see if they game can be beat in 1 hour like HL. I doubt it, probably more like 3.

Dyno said:
Is Nightmare the highest? I would've thought there'd be Hell difficulty...

Nightmare is the highest.

It goes Recruit (I think, or whatever Easy is called), Marine, Veteran, Nightmare. Nightmare is unlocked after you beat the game once.

I'm playing through on Veteran and it's already hard as hell on some parts, so I can't even imagine what it's like in Nightmare.

That health draining thing is kind of retarded though.

Basically if you get hit in Nightmare, you die. Even at full health a shotgun marine can drop you in a couple seconds. I doubt I'll play all the way through it, unless I find out there's some cool unlockable at the end.

Well it makes sense I guess. Single-player is all the game has, so they don't want someone being able to finish it completely (all diffuculty levels) in less than a week.

It sounds like Recruit, Marine, and Veteran are the true gameplay levels and Nightmare was made so that the game would have replay value (play until you get to a part you can't get past, get aggravated and quit for a week, then play again).

Here is a question for you guys that has completed the game.

Spoiler

Dyno said:
Well it makes sense I guess. Single-player is all the game has, so they don't want someone being able to finish it completely (all diffuculty levels) in less than a week.
huh?

Well it has multi-player but it's nothing special :shrug:

Well I don't foresee anybody beating Nightmare anytime soon. It's borderline stupid.

NoGodForMe said:
I start playing tonight, thanks to EBs wonderful pre-order.

What I'm waiting to see, is the fastest time on Marine (default), like the HL in 1 hour dude. You'd have to dissect every level, mapping out what you need, and what monsters you really have to kill to continue. It would be funny to see if they game can be beat in 1 hour like HL. I doubt it, probably more like 3.

I doubt you could finish in 3 hours even on recruit level of difficulty. I played for about two hours last night in godmode using "give all" (all weapons and full ammo) on veteran level of difficulty and I don't think I'm any where near finished.

Core said:
I doubt you could finish in 3 hours even on recruit level of difficulty. I played for about two hours last night in godmode using "give all" (all weapons and full ammo) on veteran level of difficulty and I don't think I'm any where near finished.
why the hell would you do that?

:shrug: i got tired of going through room after room killing the same old stupid monsters over and over. sure the game looks nice and all but it's still just a temporary distraction for me. oh and, i honestly don't give a fuck what you think.

Yeah I tried the just run through Alpha labs with the "notarget" cheat, but the monsters still went after me. And since I only had notarget on I was getting hits left and right. What the hell does notarget do then?

Back