do you eat feedlot meat or range-fed?

just making sure you weren't some ecological nutjob :)

i live in a town in northern california that has a definite hippy contingent. as such, there are a few local businesses that sell nothing but range-fed/grass-fed meat. great, delicious cuts for about the same price, unless you have the need/desire to buy your meat in bulk from costco or something. i personally prefer range-fed, but if my family gets to the point where it's far more affordable to buy other meat, i'd probably do that

Are you in Chico or Davis?

And the point being, I get extremely fresh beef [range/grass fed] from farmers/ranchers in the area.

We eat grass fed beef, bought locally. We bought 1/2 a cow. Some of the best beef I've had. Although we do eat a lot of venison as well which I prefer to beef.

I like the idea of knowing where my food comes from.

why would range-fed beef taste better?

the flavor comes from fat marbling and a docile cow is certainly going to be fattier.

If I have to eat beef, I like the range-fed.

For red meat I prefer buffalo, moose, reindeer et cetera to beef. I haven't eaten fast food beef in 15 years.

Ditto. I go for local elk when I eat red meat. My main source of protein is poultry and beans.

why would range-fed beef taste better?

the flavor comes from fat marbling and a docile cow is certainly going to be fattier.
taste preference (fatty/saltiness) is subjective. it's proven that range-fed animals have less sat fat (which is often inflated due to an unnatural diet of non-fibrous grains) and more nutritional content (vitamins, minerals, omega fats). i'll go out on a limb here and say it's the way beef is meant to taste. the steak purist that wants to "taste the meat" and refuses to over-season or put sauce on his meat should (i'm assuming) prefer to taste the meat the way it is meant to be tasted.

i guess that you could dispute and say that those components don't necessarily add or detract from the flavor, so i'll keep it as simple as: i've had and prefer range-fed. in fact, i've had them side-by-side and from multiple suppliers and to me it's the difference between the lower (dog food) grade fast food components and the prime premium you get at a really nice restaurant.

Are you in Chico or Davis?

And the point being, I get extremely fresh beef [range/grass fed] from farmers/ranchers in the area.
chico

and strife the difference for me personally is that range-fed meat's lean parts is far tastier than the lean parts of feedlot meat, and for that meat, it requires the fatty marbling to make up for that fact. all personal preference.

Back