DNS gurus. Help a brutha out.

Trepdation

Veteran X
OK so we have our company which we have primary zones for in DNS. Then we have our parent company in Japan that doesn't give us access to ANY of their shit. Not to mention the language barrier. They do have a handful of hosts that we connect to through a VPN tunnel device located onsite here and those IP's are not resolvable via internet DNS. The parent and ourselves are totally different forests and domain names so they can be considered just another company out there that certain sites we have privileged access through VPN.

The way it was set up before, was the previous guy set up a freaking zone for every host they gave us and it only contained one IP for that host.

I nuked all the secondary zones and created one with the name of the root zone: xxx.co.jp and made host records underneath that for everything we get to over VPN. This cleaned everything up a lot, but the problem is the mail servers are on that root domain and they are popping up subdomains named mfd.xxx.co.jp and haf.xxx.co.jp all of which use the MX records of xxx.co.jp.

So my mail gateways are all trying to query this castrated xxx.co.jp zone here on our dns servers, not finding the mx records (because its only stuff I entered) and email doesn't go out to them unless I specify the IP's for those domains directly on the gateways.

So how the hell do I set it up to look in that zone on our DNS and if it doesn't find what it's looking for look out on the net for it? I don't want to rely on me to have to change their mail gateway IP's every time the wind blows and I don't want to have all these floating one host zones replicating all over shit. I don't have any formal DNS training to figure out how to architect this any better, but I've been around this shit long enough to know there has got to be a better way without the ideal getting a zone copy directly from xxx.co.jp.

Last edited:
Here is another thought for you. Put a wildcard MX into your fake xxx.co.jp zone that points to
a mail server you set up. Set up that mail server as if it was a "secondary MX" store-and-forward
server. Configure the DNS for this store-and-forward server to use the real internet DNS rather
than your fake one.

emails sent from someone using your fake zone would go to your store-and-forward host and then
would be relayed to the correct place (hopefully!)

Good luck!

Disable zone transfers and manually put what you want under xxx.co.jp?

What does the zone transfers have to do with anything though? it just makes it easier for me to change one zone on one of the DNS servers and it replicates to the other 2. If I did that I'd be in the same spot except have to make the changes in 3 different places instead of one.

OK so we have our company which we have primary zones for in DNS. Then we have our parent company in Japan that doesn't give us access to ANY of their shit.
Problem.

Correct approach to this problem is to slave the zone(s) they control. Anything else would be a kludge.

What does the zone transfers have to do with anything though? it just makes it easier for me to change one zone on one of the DNS servers and it replicates to the other 2. If I did that I'd be in the same spot except have to make the changes in 3 different places instead of one.

I guess I misread.. I thought the parent company was giving you false mx records.

There are 2 effective ways to deal with security concerns.

1) Address them systematically and logically with mitigation steps to comply with standards and policies

2) Play dumb and throw a babyfit about work stoppage and revenue loss until they give in.

There are 2 effective ways to deal with security concerns.

1) Address them systematically and logically with mitigation steps to comply with standards and policies

2) Play dumb and throw a babyfit about work stoppage and revenue loss until they give in.

You have never tried to mitigate with an IS department of a multi billion dollar Japanese company that speaks broken English have you? haha

No, I'm a security engineer for a multi-billion dollar silicon valley company that owns companies in 21 countries that speak broken English and those are the two ways I see used most often.

No, I'm a security engineer for a multi-billion dollar silicon valley company that owns companies in 21 countries that speak broken English and those are the two ways I see used most often.

Government is exactly the same.

Back