DK Tanking...

its amazing you people still play this... its been what... 5 years? its the same exact game, less challenge, same routine. some would call that torture.

its amazing you people still play this... its been what... 5 years? its the same exact game, less challenge, same routine. some would call that torture.

Yet you come in here telling us that same thing in the same routine every odd months or so? If not here than in GD.

HEY EVERYONE I DON'T LIKE WOW, I'M ORIGINAL BECAUSE I'M GOING AGAINST WHAT 11 MILLION PEOPLE FIND ENJOYABLE. I DISLIKE IT SO MUCH I POST EVERY WEEK ABOUT HOW I DON'T LIKE IT IN CASE SOME OF YOU FORGOT. I'M COOL!!! Aren't I?

I would say Beheader, although the agility wouldnt hurt for the avoidance you are getting more than double the attack power from beheader as well as more hate and arm pen. This adds up to more threat on the target. Then again it shouldn't make to much of a difference regardless.

Since this thread is about DK tanking I have a question for Terra:

On my leveling DK (74) I'm wondering which spec I should go for 5 mans. Formerly I was Unholy/Unholy for AoE tanking and AoE DPS (which is pretty much all 5 mans is) but that was before they nerfed it like 6 months ago. I looked around for a few minutes on EJ and it looks like Frost has better AOE burst but lower sustained than Unholy and people were recommending Frost for AOE tanking and Unholy for AOE DPS. Is what I surmised correct?

Also, is DW still shit for tanking and for DPS only for people that want to be different?

False, currently my 74 DK is Unholy for instances and Blood for questing. I typically do 1400 sustained dps through an entire instance as unholy. My boss DPS is a little lower than that, but I figure burning through all the trash makes up for a 200dps drop when we pull a boss. And yes, frost is the better spec for AoE tanking, I don't believe it's well regarded when it comes to dps any longer though.

Since this thread is about DK tanking I have a question for Terra:

On my leveling DK (74) I'm wondering which spec I should go for 5 mans. Formerly I was Unholy/Unholy for AoE tanking and AoE DPS (which is pretty much all 5 mans is) but that was before they nerfed it like 6 months ago. I looked around for a few minutes on EJ and it looks like Frost has better AOE burst but lower sustained than Unholy and people were recommending Frost for AOE tanking and Unholy for AOE DPS. Is what I surmised correct?

Also, is DW still shit for tanking and for DPS only for people that want to be different?

What you read on EJ is pretty much right. Unholy is the top dps both on single target and aoe at 80, but that doesn't really apply to you at 74. People still go frost here from time to time, especially if your guild needs you to bring the windfury buff if you don't have a shaman.

If you were leveling solo without dungeons, I would say go blood (I got server-first dk 80 and it was mainly due to the ability to heal for 4-6k twice every 11 sec and solo elite quests.

If you were going to dps dungeons to 80, I'd say go unholy, if you wanted to tank I'd say go frost/unholy (its really preference at lower levels), unless your healers constantly sucks then go blood.

I realize my answers are kind of vague, but roles of DK don't really get defined into specs until you really hit 80.

I loved DW Frost DPS, it was tight. I dusted off my DK and he still does wicked numbers with it too.

The World of Warcraft Armory

He is pretty crappy now, but I still break 4k easily, upwards of 5k depending on the 5 man.

DW Frost is VERY situational though. If you don't want to constantly be watching procs and stacking accordingly it can be needlessly tedious.

How viable is DW frost tanking these days? That's currently what my tank spec is, but I haven't tanked an instance since I came back to the game a month ago. I'm considering starting though, just so I don't have to wait 20 minutes for a DPS spot.

My current build is the 12/52/7 frost build (from EJ), and I would be using Lucky Old Sun - Item - World of Warcraft and Rimefang's Claw - Item - World of Warcraft.

I'd recommend DW frost for heroics. KM procs are great burst threat, and if you use them right you can chain pull easily assuming the rest of the group keeps up. The DKs you see running around with dual fast tank weapons are probably bads. You'll want two slow DPS weapons, otherwise your single-target threat will be terrible. Assuming your gear is good enough to be defense capped without Nerubian Carapace on your weapons, go with Fallen Crusader/Cinderglacier for extra threat and damage. I usually pull 2800-3500 DPS as a tank for full heroics.

The World of Warcraft Armory

Specced blood atm. The only gear that changes when I'm frost is my weapons. I use dual 245 ilevel relentless gladiator axes.

The Source

I was in ToC-10 on my hunter in a pug and it was reasonable. A couple of wipes but the RL was a completely tool who didn't really know what to do. After watching a bunch of plate and caster stuff drop we get to Anub and kill him. The Anguish drops, and he calls for a roll. I roll on it (it's a decent huntard buff stick) and of course the three DKs roll as well. Obviously another DK won it, I didn't raise a stink until I inspected the winner. He already had the beheader. I leave their vent and leave and log after the RL tries to yell at me for calling out the baddy DK.

The verdict? Right now the Beheader is, not only after doing some research but unexpectedly having a discuss with one of our top raiding guild's officers. Why would you say that? Two simple reasons.

1. Chill of the Throne doesn't really make stacking dodge or anything related to it viable, so the dodge rating gained from the agility is pretty much null.

2. Seems DKs inherently get 25% of their total strength translated directly into parry rating. Some tests and simple math on one of my DKs confirmed this.

Ergo, the Beheader would be a better tanking weapon on grounds the dodge from the agility is trashed by the Chill and the only other DK mitigation mechanic is gained through strength.

Some fun points to that run?

- Healer lets me die at the end of the worms and that same DK and myself were dead. They choose to brez the DK instead of me as Icehowl starts. I'm pretty sure you guessed it, but someone got hit by Icehowl and everyone is calling for tranq and all I could say was, "I would but I'm dead..."

- Healing was so mediocre on Jaraxxus (health meters flucuating horribly to dangerous lows) I had to end up tranq'ing him the entire fight to get rid of Fel Infusion because the one mage there apparently felt his DPS was good enough not to spellsteal. There's a reason chance had I not done so there would have been a wipe.

The pissing over the Angush came at the end of a long line of raid pugs where every DK pretty much rolled on every single 2H weapon and essentially one of them getting it. Don't piss on hunters for rolling on "hunter weapons" because now it seems DKs get open call to anything that needs two hands.

And FYI, I'm not a whore about my weapons. I'm well aware rogues get more use out of their melee weapons than I do (used to be fury warriors too before everyone went Monkey-Grip) so I only roll on them if they are offspec, and I expect to have priority for bows/crossbows/guns if it's a good upgrade.

Flame on.

That DK is dumb Feanang.

But you're also telling us a story about a ToC 10man normal where people are so bad that they die on beasts and need tranq shots.

I don't see anguish being bad at all for hunters, looks like a legit weapon.

Isn't marks top end on hunters, but requires some serious gear (alot of arm pen, high crit, etc)?

Back