DivX Confirms PS3 DivX Support

more like great fucking news - 90% of my digitized movie collection is divx

I converted about a dozen of my movies to mp4 when I first got the playstation, but that got to be more work than it was worth.

divx = xvid too or what?

what about mkv which is more or less compressed HD movies

i never bothered converting any movies. even with a latest and greatest pc, video conversion takes far too long. if i was going to sit there for an hour watching a progress bar on my computer, i would just watch it there to begin with. or ghetto rig my laptop to my tv.

i miss my xbox

my ipod can play wav files...

this is stupid, if you're actually backing up your own movies it makes sense to encode them in a modern, free, open-source, etc. codec (something like AVC), not fucking proprietary divx. if you're "backing up" movies you'll generally be forced to use xvid for SD and h.264 for HD

Isn't H264 the next totally wicked-awesome video format?

I dunno about this stuff anymore...

h264 is a compression standard. It's encapsulated in an .mp4. VLC has to play the entire movie one second at a time to transcode files to h264 mp4. That's because it generally doesn't lose any quality during the transcode.

divx and xvid arent the same. Xvid is an offshoot of Divx but they are two seperate codecs - each requiring their own support in order to be played

and Matroska doesnt have much hardware support yet, but that will blossom since its such an open standard. Like avi, its more of a container type file that doesnt actually specify what codec the video is.

Please don't try to explain video codecs to AkumA. He likes to rename any avi file he downloads to "Title of movie [DivX]" even if the movie was an xvid file. Shit, he even renamed Quicktime videos to it.

It has also been revealed that the 360 may get divx support too. Davis Freeberg’s Digital Connection » Blog Archive » Is DivX and the Xbox 360 About To Become A Reality?

Shit, I just wish XBMC would be ported to the 360. I imagine the linux port of XBMC could be used on the PS3 if Sony let linux use 3d acceleration.

Back