Desktop replacements

Whistler

Veteran X
Does anyone use a high-end laptop as a desktop replacement? Would this perform well enough to handle most modern games? I've been using a middle of the road laptop and i was thinking i might get something with a bit more horsepower

I saw this thread below and I started to wonder:
HP Pavilion dv8t 18.4 Inch 1080P Screen, i7 1.6ghz Quad Processor, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 320GB HDD, 1GB Nvidia GeForce GT 230M, Blu-ray, Webcam + FP Reader, Wireless N, 8 Cell $1100 w FS - SlickDeals.net Forums

Anyone have experience w/ one of these?

:sunny:

I had a pavilion, it was kinda cool but the software installed was standard HP bloatware/junk. The mother board cooked itself in short order as well. Would not buy HP again.

I've got a huge ass Sager Desktop Replacement. I love the fact that it can play games on pretty high settings but for the impractical size and almost nonexistent battery life i often wonder if it is worth it. You're honestly better off splitting your $$$ and getting a decent desktop and a portable laptop

My two cents.

$1000 laptop + $1000 desktop is a better investment than a $2000 laptop.

Kind regards
DrSupey

Another thing: the desktop + portable laptop idea is also good because in 3-4 years you wont have a behemoth piece of shit desktop replacement that can only be upgraded so much. Instead you'll have a desktop that could be kept alive for many more years if you're smart.

I've got a huge ass Sager Desktop Replacement. I love the fact that it can play games on pretty high settings but for the impractical size and almost nonexistent battery life i often wonder if it is worth it. You're honestly better off splitting your $$$ and getting a decent desktop and a portable laptop

My two cents.

I've been trying to tell people this for years.

If you want a portable desktop get a fucking shuttle or something. These computers offer the worst of both worlds

is this thread seriously happening? you guys do know its 2009, almost 2010, right? this shit was put to rest prob 5+yrs ago. wtf.

Another thing: the desktop + portable laptop idea is also good because in 3-4 years you wont have a behemoth piece of shit desktop replacement that can only be upgraded so much. Instead you'll have a desktop that could be kept alive for many more years if you're smart.

i got a mbp over 3yrs ago, 'n itll still run any game avail on or near max everything, 'n i havent had to upgrade jack shit to do it.

I watch woot deals and i bout my gf a dual core, 4gb, 17" display, 500gb HD, hp laptop with an nvidia card in it. its super fast, plays wow at max settings. It even came with a remote thats stored in the laptop to be used with windows media center. Only cost $600 with shipping. So yeah just watch woot for deals.

Last edited:
Was it a DV2000? Every single one of those HPs has a motherboard that fails within a year... They have MAJOR design flaws.

Back